This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bioflocs

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by livionakano, Jan 24, 2009.

1. livionakano

livionakano Lifetime Members

Did any of you folks heard about it?

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Yes, I have heard of Bioflocs.

Essentially a method of nutrient control (read, feeding and waste) in aquaculture, these are areas of extreme bioloads.

Through, I assume, an ‘electrostatic’ process various beneficial microbial life are bound together with feed to control nitrogen build up in aquaculture environments.

Bio Floc For Aquaculture

http://floc.aesweb.org/library/sanantonio2007/Verstraete.pdf

ScienceDirect - Aquaculture : Feeding with microbial flocs by tilapia in minimal discharge bio-flocs technology ponds

Biollante

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

.....Extreme bioloading, high intensity fish loads.
    Plants and roots are covered with this and same for filters and other aspects.

A mature filter will act to clarify a tank easily, and a new filter will not.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Sounds like zeolite to me, if not something similar.

I'm surprised the pitch doesn't make mention of, "Harnessing the awesome power of xtreme microsieves!"

-Philosophos

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Eat My Words And My Critters

I don’t see a direct application for aquarium keeping, though I suppose the concept of miniature bio filtration combined with the food might someday have an application.

In small-scale aquaculture, the need to keep high water flows and lots of filtration rather offsets any particular ‘biological filtration advantage. Well okay, a couple 160-gallon Rubbermaid horse troughs with some hydroponics is hardly “aquaculture”; it is more aquarium keeping, where you keep tasty critters.;)

Having said all that… I may have to take another look just saw::D

ScienceDirect - Aquaculture : The biofloc technology (BFT) in indoor tanks: Water quality, biofloc composition, and growth and welfare of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)

Shrimp Biofloc reactor equipment aquaculture equipment BE products

Aquaculture Farming Technology

Biollante