big CO2 bubbles from Hagen Ladder

bary_g

Junior Poster
Apr 20, 2008
Hi everyone. I've just set my ladder yesterday and I'm getting big bubbles ( 1/4"). Since it's so big only a small fraction of it is being dissolved in water. simultanously, it's w big waste of CO2. Is it normal for a newly started mixture or is there something I do wrong? Thanx for your help and regards,
Bartek

Grafalski

Prolific Poster
Feb 24, 2006
Hey Bartek. I used to have Hagen Plant Grow Natural System as my first Co2 system in my tank and I remember that all bubbles where pretty big. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Joetee

Prolific Poster
Mar 26, 2006
Lexington, KY
I'm thinking you are using DIY C02. If you are, the bottles need to get rid of the air before the C02 concentration is at its best. The air doesn't desolve much at all. The C02 desolves pretty fast. As the ladder starts to get dirty, the surface is more rough and the C02 will start desolving much faster. Not competely but the bubbles will start getting much smaller as it moves up. When the ladder gets to dirty, the bubbles will start to hang up and othe bubbles will join and the bubble will get to big and roll out (waste).

So don't over clean the ladder.

I hope this helps.

Joe

bary_g

Junior Poster
Apr 20, 2008
...I'm using Hagen canister. The ladder is in the tank for the 3rd day so it's not dirty. as it gets more slime it may create the resistance to bubbles. anyway I'm thinking about mounting a bell above it. thanks for your input, guys!
regards,
Bartek

eyebeatbadgers

Junior Poster
Aug 28, 2007
Nashville, Tennessee
Though this doesn't help you with your ladder, limewood airstones work great with DIY CO2. Placing said airstone at the bottom of the tank under the output of your filter has been very effective for me in the past.

bary_g

Junior Poster
Apr 20, 2008
OK, it's been a couple days and it's all good. I'm getting 5-6 bubbles every 30 seconds and they're getting much smaller as they reaching a top of the ladder (1/8"). and for the first time I see my plants creating bubbles! and I can see them growing every day! tommorrow I'm gonna post you a pic.
regards to all,
Bartek

bary_g

Junior Poster
Apr 20, 2008
there it is, first pic made 2 weeks ago and now. also, I discovered recently that two shrimps must have been hiding between plants I bought!

100_0864.jpg

100_0965.jpg

100_0987.jpg

Joetee

Prolific Poster
Mar 26, 2006
Lexington, KY
Your now photo is looking much better than it did 2 weeks ago. Looking good.
With any luck, you ended up with a male and female shrimp. Or maybe one is already pregnaunt. Cool deal. I have only had shrimp now for about a month and I just seen one carring eggs. Can't wait.
Joetee