This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Bga

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Henry Hatch, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Henry Hatch

Henry Hatch Guru Class Expert

Hello Tom,

After numerous failed attempts at growing plants, I discovered Estimative Index.
    It works. My tank has been set up for about 3 months. I have traces of algae and very strong plant growth. I ran into a bump in the road recently with a mild case of blue green algae. I dosed the tank with erythromycin for 5 days and it looks like the stuff is gone. However, I want to be sure it does not come back now that I have completed the dosing regimen.

Since this stuff is actually a bacteria rather than a true algae, should I continue my
    EI dosing regime ?

My tank is a 30 gallon very heavily planted tank with 60 watts of light and co2 levels normally above 30 . I have been dosing nitrates at 15 ppm, iron at .3, phosphates at 1.0 and potassium at 15ppm. I also dose with Flourish 8 ml. My GH and Kh are 4-5. I dose once/week.

I check N,P ,and Fe regularly with Laomotte tests.

Should I make any changes ?

Henry Hatch

f

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Glad you have decent test kits.

Oner thing about EI, you'll need to dose 2x a week, not once, at the end of the week you should be bottoming out on the NO3/K.

PO4 limitation does slow NO3 uptake down and CO2 uptake as well, but the plants tend to do okay with low PO4.

But just divide the EI dosing into 2 or 3x a week routines, with about 30 ppm of NO3 as the target total for the week.

You likely have 2ppm a day removal, so this will maintain about 5-10 ppm and a max build up of about 30 ppm for this tank given the comments you have made thus far.

You may do larger than 50% weekly if you wish once every month etc or each week etc if you so chose.

I tend to do larger water changes, clean things real good, stay on top of things well when I have any issues pop up.

Mild BGA really is not a blackout or Antibiotic issue, it's typically solvable with CO2/Nutrients and good cleaning a few times, vac the substrate etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Patrice

Patrice Guru Class Expert

I can confirm it work better to dose many time than once a weak. before I dosed my ferts once every weak for Co2 tank. result were not bad but I had algae once in a while and allwais green spot algae here and there.
    Now, I dose macro every 2 days and micro every other days. it work just way beter.