This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Bga outbreak!!!! :'(

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by i4yue, Apr 16, 2013.

1. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    11:19 PM
    Ok guys, I've had this tank running for about a month now but just a week ago, it started develpiing BGA. I don't know what happened, I am doing wc every 2 days or so just to not let it overrun the tank, although it spreads REALLY fast. I've been doing the same dosing and it's been consistent. I read somewhere that I should dose double the recommended amount for ei, ex: 4 caps to get20ppm, should dose 8 caps. Also, I just tested my water the other day and noticed my nitrates were at about 5ppm and I want it at around 30, so I have doubled my kno3, as well as everything else. So any of you know good ways to get rid of BGA plead help me, this is one tank that I'm really trying to make lol good and this BGA isn't helping. Thanks

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You have to kill what is there before higher NO3 will help.

EM or blackouts.

3. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    What is em? And how long should I black out for? I was gonna try not to do that cuz I'm afraid my hc will die, as well other plants

papa_c likes this.
  4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Erthyromacyin

Blackout:
    Somehow plants are easily shipped 3 days all over the place without issues.

If they cannot handle this, they are dead/dying anyway.

So there's 2 different methods.
    KNO3 needs dosed ASAP after you start either of these methods along with some water changes, etc.

5. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    ok, which one is most effective? ill most likely go with the blackout.
    will the blackout cause me to get bba super outbreak? cuz im not dosing co2? should i shoot for 30ppm for nitrate?

6. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    erythromycin (API's E.M. or Mardel's Maracyn) is the most effective, ime. Do a full coarse of treatment. Doesn't effect biological filtration as far as I can tell (meaning your plants, inverts, and fish will be fine). If you dose erythro, you don't have to tweak anything else in your tank, except do a few water changes and maybe add some carbon or purigen after the treatment is done.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Antibiotics are prescription only in many countries and rightly so.
    So blackout is a good option but MUSt be combined with KNO3 dosing.

8. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    ok tom, if your reading this. I did the blackout and dosed kno3 the entire time. and about a week and a half or so after the lights were back on, abd the bga is coming back. i really dont know what to do at this point, i did a nitrate test yesterday and the reading was 0ppm (this is x2 the reconmmended dosage) now im going to try x3 the reconmmended dosage to see if i can get a reading on nitrates, i dont know how much im going to have to dose to get at least 20ppm of nitrate... please help me tom :(

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Repeat and clean your tank well, clean the filter, lightly vacuum any muck off the soil surface etc, fluff the plants etc, then do a 50-80% water change, add Excel, check the cO2 system and amount again.
    Repeat, did you do a real blackout?

3 days without ANY light, covering the tank completely?
    Simply turning the light off does not do it.

Then add KNO3/ferts right after the water change, then blackout the tank and cover it.
    3 Days after, do a large water change, dose, and then return to normal routines.

10. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    what i did was 2 and a half days of no light, but i did my routine dosing. so let me get the process straight,
    1. 50-80%wc with JUST kno3 added afterwards
    2. after wc, cover the tank completely for 3 days
    3. after 3 days, another 50-80% wc but this time with regular dosing.

also one last question, should I continue to up the nittrates til i get at least 20ppm?

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Stop using that test kit unless you plan on using a known standard to make sure it's correct to begin with. EI dosing will add plenty of the NO3 needed. Adding more will not help.

12. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi, hang in there and keep ensuring your filters are clean, good EI dosing, and good c02. I have also been struggling with persistent BGA for weeks in my 57 gal. I fixed root cause (I thought) of poor c02 and is much better but not completely gone. I did a 2 day b/o and that got 90%. Still had some new growth after that. I manually removed via suction hose and there is none now. However, PLANT growth is excellent since the c02 fix. I dose plenty of EI and the filter is well maintained. I think I am covering all bases but we will see.

I am watching for new growth. I have found that a simple suction hose of a small diameter works well on the gravel and on plants. You just gently knock the suction tube against the plant and the bga sloughs off. Then suck it up and out. If you gently hover over the substrate, it removes it quickly and easily...

Do some extra water changes and keep at it.

There is an issue somewhere for it to keep developing. Perhaps I have more than one and I still need to find the other(s).

Hope this helps.

13. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    ok thanks, ill go clean out my filters right now, and do a wc, on my 55, i have tiny tiny bits of bba that grow but dont take over, but in this tank, it takes over if i dont treat it. so we'll see how it goes, it killed off my hc, but they were only in there for 2 weeks so not strongly rooted

14. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:19 PM
    Is a Blackout more effective with a dose of Em?

ScapeFu Podcast mentions 200mg/10gallons (38L), and doesn't mention a repeat dose.