This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

BGA, lighting, frets

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jonathan11, May 7, 2014.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:25 PM
    Hope I've got this in the right category, but my question is multiple. I have -/:;()$& BGA! I've bleached/removed the plants, drained the water, skimmed upper 1" of substrate and cleaned, cleaned main filter, cleaned glass, wood, rocks. Added osmocote plus tabs to substrate, bit of clay balls, about to refill. I want to know if 600 watts of light is too much for a 180? I can reduce this, but it will be a bit of a chore. Should I fertilize the water column before I start the blackout, or wait till after the blackout is complete? Also have CO2 for tank which I will not run till blackout, 3/4 days, is done. Your help would be appreciated, as always.

Walter

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Your NO3 is probably low. Increase that and it will go away on its own. To speed the process, add some H2O2 directly onto it and break it apart. The peroxide will kill it off very quickly. You could use erythromycin antibiotic, but that's more expensive, takes longer, and can promote antibiotic resistance. H2O2 is just faster and more effective.

3. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Agreed, my NO3 is probably low, but our local water dept. was kind enough to present my city's water system with BGA in our drinking water! But that's another story. The slime algae was too severe for spot treatment, resulting in me having to strip everything down. But could you comment on the light level, and when to add the ferts-before or after the blackout.? I'd like to thank you for your reply and help.
    Walter

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, my NO3 is probably low, but our local water dept. was kind enough to present my city's water system with BGA in our drinking water! But that's another story. The slime algae was too severe for spot treatment, resulting in me having to strip everything down. But could you comment on the light level, and when to add the ferts-before or after the blackout.? I'd like to thank you for your reply and help.
    Walter

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    BGA is not an excessive light issue. I've never done a blackout to get rid of it so I don't know.

5. ltb420

ltb420 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    IME to rid your tank of BGA you first have to take care of the underlining problem. For me this has usually been excess organics. Just vacuuming out all the extra detritus that accumulates on the surface makes a huge difference.