This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

BGA between glass and substrate

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by matthewburk, Dec 1, 2005.

1. matthewburk

matthewburk Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:52 PM
    How can I get rid of this before it spreads to my plants without doing a blackout?

2. jerime

jerime Member

Local Time:
    Re: BGA between glass and substrate

Insert a black plastic, or any other material, between the glass and the substrate. It blocks the light and the ciano vanishes.

3. Jay

Jay Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

I use a low tack black vinyl tape on the outside of the tank to block light for a few days. Interesting, while I see it there occasionally it does not spread.

4. phineus

phineus Junior Poster

Local Time:

I've had this as well. Usually, I just try to vacum it out at cleaning time. What light are we trying to block? From the aquarium lights? Doesn't the gravel do that? Or, is it light from outside the tank? Sorry for the confusion...

5. Jay

Jay Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Ambient or light from the widows is what I block. I usually see it on the side of the tank with the most light through the windows.

6. matpat

matpat Prolific Poster

Local Time:

I have this same type of BGA but it is only in my two tanks with Eco Complete. My tanks with Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil and Soilmaster Select (new tank) do not have it. I guess I have had it in both Eco tanks for about a year now but it is only on the glass at substrate level and has never spread. It always seems to stay just below the surface also so I have never given it much thought.

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

i have the same bga in most of my tanks. i take a plastic spreader and pull back the gravel from the glass,use a plastic sraper and clean.this procedure will last sometimes a couple of months. also i've watched the otto's work on it right after i pull gravel back,they seem to love this algae.if your plants are too close to glass this does not work. regards,cornhusker :) :)