Beyond Bar

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
Hello members from around the world.


My newest scape I would like to go above my bar limit. Create close to a masterpiece (no i am not there yet)


Us Usa scapers are extremely lacking the talent or just flat out lazy.


Hardscape is always the easiest and funnest part. Its all the planting around and grouping growing that makes it a bit difficult. Blending and mixing the right formula you want.


details to come


wood is currently soaking, i would like to incorporate rock in, but funds are tight. Always tight.
 

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
679
218
43
Hillsboro, OR
Rocks, if you are not to picky check out landscape places. In my last makeover of the tank I used lava rocks. Got a big peice


for very cheap and broke it down to shape I like.
 

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
1,584
384
83
48
UK
barrreport.com
Dennis anything particular style in mind?


once you decide on the rocks or/and wood spend a few weeks doing mock ups, leave each mockup that your happy with for a few days and keep looking at that mock up twicking it slightly until you have something that your 110% happy with. Take a photos as you go.


Remember things like the rule of thirds, golden triangle etc as these will assist you and direct viewing to a focal point.


Ideas will change all the time until you have something special, only one rule that is don't rush things at this stage.


Research aga and iaplc for endless ideas.


Most scapes are not created overnight and take time.


Show pieces require daily maintenance, cleaning, tooth brushes, big water changes.
 

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
rajkm said:
Rocks, if you are not to picky check out landscape places. In my last makeover of the tank I used lava rocks. Got a big peice
for very cheap and broke it down to shape I like.

Ty Raj, my first bet is my lfs in Fountain valley, ca, tongs, pricier but they carry a lot of goods.


I'll check em out second. First I owe some fellow a magnetude of money :p
 

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
Jason said:
Dennis anything particular style in mind?

once you decide on the rocks or/and wood spend a few weeks doing mock ups, leave each mockup that your happy with for a few days and keep looking at that mock up twicking it slightly until you have something that your 110% happy with. Take a photos as you go.


Remember things like the rule of thirds, golden triangle etc as these will assist you and direct viewing to a focal point.


Ideas will change all the time until you have something special, only one rule that is don't rush things at this stage.


Research aga and iaplc for endless ideas.


Most scapes are not created overnight and take time.


Show pieces require daily maintenance, cleaning, tooth brushes, big water changes.

Thanks for this information Jason


Close to nature style.


Would you happen to have any links I could check out?


I have a pretty good idea already of what I want to do actually


The hardscape definitely will be done overnight to a few days, scape itself will take time
 

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
ry9jtsS.jpg
 

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
259
23
18
GMT -700
Dennis Singh said:
Us Usa scapers are extremely lacking the talent or just flat out lazy.

Speak for yourself.


What is a Usa scaper? Must be a new classification.


I am a USA Scaper and proud of it.


At first glance one would think you are being lazy or simply disrespectful.


When referring to a nation, have respect, and capitalize the name.


After doing so please delete this reply.


Best wishes for my fellow humans.
 

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
webskipper said:
Speak for yourself.


What is a Usa scaper? Must be a new classification.


I am a USA Scaper and proud of it.


At first glance one would think you are being lazy or simply disrespectful.


When referring to a nation, have respect, and capitalize the name.


After doing so please delete this reply.


Best wishes for my fellow humans.

I am completely DISRESPECTING!


what you or the rest of the crew going to do about it? Up your game or whine and cry about it.....
 

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
How so? Would you rather I critique the countries that can scape? If you cannot harass your own, who can you harass.


Would you rather say we are the greatest nation in the world? I would agree
 

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
Last thing, because others might not see what you're doing....Troll off....


You maybe a lifetime member but that does not give you the right to troll my thread


I know this because of your contributions to this community
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
751
113
webskipper said:
Unbecoming behavior of a Moderator


Webskipper has a point.


On the other hand, the USA has placed poorly in the IAPLC. They have done well in the AGA contest a few years back.


Does this imply everyone in the USA sucks?


No.


Does the IAPLC suck because they almost never use difficult or uncommon plant species in the top scapes?


You can flip this around many different ways. If you have a beef with it, enter a contest and if those judges deem you better, then you can crow.


Have you enter any contest Dennis? I have not, but they did not have any when I started either.


Freedom of speech is one thing, being personal is another.


I can harsh on a topic myself, but I avoid being personal.
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
751
113
Dennis Singh said:
I am completely DISRESPECTING!


what you or the rest of the crew going to do about it? Up your game or whine and cry about it.....

This is highly personal, not on topic.
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
751
113
Admin warning: if this continues, this thread shall be closed.


STICK to the topic which is your scape.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
Tom Barr said:
Admin warning: if this continues, this thread shall be closed.

STICK to the topic which is your scape.

All fun and games aside, i did have fun with this one, I apologize to Tom Barr, GG, Senske's, Crow, Boyer, etc....off the top of my head.


Will continue on to the the topic.


Luis Navarro, can't forget him...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
2,421
639
113
37
Orange County, CA
So i had a good hardscape going but this stump just happened to come along so i have to decided to use it.


SCYFD0u.jpg



The idea was to to put mosses on the wood and and the entire left side a foreground blending into mid ground and into the wood.


canceled hardscape:


a0Fqla3.jpg



got some wood materials


these are to be broken down to add finer thinner roots to the scape


XrV0FtG.jpg



As you can see, its going to be at least 2 weeks before i can actually do anything since wood is not sunk yet


GavXvCA.jpg



I won't update much, just shots here and there and i hope to enter competitions with this scape