Best way to start Glosso

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
I just got a small pot of Glosso from my LFS suprisingly. I was going to trim the roots and plant small portions about 2-4cm apart but the one thing was not sure about was if I should cut the plant short before planting. Because it came from my LFS the glosso was growing up instead out out, so it is about 3" tall. Should I cut it down to ~1" before planting or let it root first, then do a major trim about a week later?

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
im not an expert but i simply pushed it down into the substate until 1/2in or so was sticking out, some recommend all the way down so only the top leaves show. This is thought to force it to grow sideways instead of up. Mine does both.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Glosso is a stem plant, so you can plant cuttings just as you would with other stems. I suggest pruning them down to 2-4 leaves, planting those, then cutting the pruned off pieces into 2-4 leaf segments, and planting them too. That will make one pot cover a pretty large area.

osnapitseric

Junior Poster
Jan 29, 2009
glosso is very simple. I'm assuming you are using glosso for a carpet. Alls you have to do is just cut it in small chunks and plant it down near the surface as possible and just wait for it to expand (very fast).