This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

best photoperiod for my newly set up 20G

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by vroadrunner, Apr 3, 2013.

1. vroadrunner

vroadrunner Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:10 PM
    Hello

I've originally started this thread under "are you new to the aquatic plants.." and due to the lack of responds, I decided to re-post this here. Hopefully this time someone will be able to answer my question.

I just started my 20G planted tank. I have eco-complete substrate, 65W 6700K, EI dosing, no CO2. I was wondering how long I should keep the lights on. Right now I have timer set for 6 hours. Plants - anubias, bolbitis, couple types of Cryptocoryne, Lilaeopsis, Rotala wallichii.

I found this the following information and I was wondering if anyone else here is doing something similar or it's best to keep continuous lighting. What is your experience and what would you recommend?
    Thank you.

"Lighting Duration (Photoperiod)

In nature plants receive around 12 hours of sunlight per day. This can simulated by having the tank illuminated for a similar period. However, some plants will thrive with a reduced photoperiod and this brings the benefits of less possible algae growth but bear in mind that plants generally do not recognise light periods of less than 4 hours. For added benefit to fish and plants the lighting can be switched on and off in stages. This is possible with multiple tubes/light controllers and two or more timers. An example is having one tube on for an hour followed by all the tubes. At the end of the photoperiod the lighting can be dimmed in a similar fashion. This is particularly less stressful for the fish as they are not subject to sudden lighting extremes.

Photoperiod Gaps and Timers

A relatively new concept in lighting is to have a gap or “siesta” in the photoperiod. Plants can apparently adapt to a small dark period whereas algae is not so adaptable. Recommended siesta periods can be from 1 hour to 4 hours with a minimum of 4 hours of lighting either side of the siesta. This is a popular method of limiting algae growth and personally of have had great success with it and still run my lighting with a 2 hour siesta, with 5 hours of lighting either side (5 on, 2 off, 5 on). I can assume that the plants recognise that there is 12 hours of light even though the tank actually illuminated for 10 hours."

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

6-8 hours is more than enough...can you provide more detail on your 65w? It may be a lot w/o c02. You may want to use shade cloth or floating plants if the light proves too much..

Some folks use siestas with success but I do not do so. I have an 8 hour photoperiod.

3. vroadrunner

Local Time:
    thank you

thank you for the reply. Its a 24" coralife with band new fluorescent lightbulb 6700K 65W. It has been recommended to me by the person working in plants department when i was buying eco-complete. I've noticed that anubia's new leave is growing pretty fast (well at least for me) going from barely see the new growth to almost open leave since last friday.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    T5, T8, T12? Trying to guage the amt of light :)

5. vroadrunner

Local Time:
    #5 vroadrunner, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013