This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Best Online Plant Reference

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by fishIZneat, May 19, 2009.

1. fishIZneat

fishIZneat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:32 PM
    I'm having a difficult time googleing a site with good plant descriptions like max size etc.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  3. fishIZneat

fishIZneat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I saw two plants at Arizona Aquatic Gardens that Tropica had no description for.

I want to order plants based partly on max. height for a 24" surface to substrate tank.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Can you post the link of the website for the plants?

Please note that not all plants sold as aquatic plants really are true aquatics........

5. TheKillHaa

TheKillHaa Prolific Poster

Local Time:

i'll tell you, if is a stem plant, ANY would get over 24" with out any problem if you give a good enviroment.

saludos!

6. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Non-stem plants keep on growing too. If they didn't they would be ideal breeding grounds for algae. Shorter plants just get wider and more bushy, eventually taking up all of the room in the tank. We, who are lazy, are forced into cutting the light intensity down enough to slow the plants growth to better fit our work habits. With good CO2, this works very well. Light intensity is the gas pedal for plant growth.

7. fishIZneat

fishIZneat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I changed the text to a link. So, which genus has the most plants that will not grow over 24"? I guess anubias is not fully aquatic.

I'm one of those guys who does not want to be pruning all the time. I would like to plan the tank based partly on this. Also, I want to stair step from the back forward obviously so I want to go from tall to short. I need a good resource. I might try a scientific website but that info is based on wild plants.

Is there a plant book that tells max height, etc.?

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Kasslemann's book is on eof the better ones and the Baensch series etc is good, Oriental Aquarium sells a nice book etc, Tropica as well.

If lower trimming is something you want o do, then focus on hair grass, Ferns, Anubias etc and low light with CO2/Excel etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

9. fishIZneat

fishIZneat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks. I'll definitely look into those books. Now I just need a fern/Anubias that gets close to 24 and stays there for the most part.