This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Best Investment for Local Club: Which PAR Meter?

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by dapellegrini, Jan 1, 2010.

1. dapellegrini

dapellegrini Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:57 PM
    We are considering the purchase of a PAR Meter for our local club (AAPE). Ideally we would have a nice unit that we could lend around, bring to meetings etc without worrying too much about it falling apart.

Any thoughts on which model(s) would be the best to consider for a club investment?

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Apogee is the favored brand; they aren't too far off an $1100 Li-Cor for performance in the low sub-50mmol range where it counts, and they only run about $350 by comparison.

Here's a good article on the subject: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/7/review

3. dapellegrini

dapellegrini Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks. Couple other questions:

1) Does the probe need to be replaced from time to time? and if so, how often?
    2) Is the probe water proof (seems like a dumb q, but want to be sure)?

Thanks again

4. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You send it off for recalibration every 4 years or so, the probe is water proof.

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Apogee MQ 200

Hi,

I do not have extensive experience with PAR meters in general. :eek:

I have owned the Apogee MQ 200 for a month or so and I have to say I am really impressed. To be fair I have nothing to compare it with so take it for what it is worth.

I also ordered the computer cable, which I think, would be good for a club. The device stores 99 measurements on its own the cable allows for downloading.:cool:

The model I got has two meters of cable to the sensor, which is good for my purposes. I think that was $US 40 extra and I think you can get the cable custom made longer for a bit extra, I do not remember off hand.

At first, it seemed somewhat flimsy, flimsy isn’t the right word, I was not impressed at first, after using it for a bit, I have changed my mind.

I am an avid gardener and hydroponics type as well and the thing has really surprised me. :eek:

My main concern with multiple users would be sensor lens care, I think I would attach a tube of Q-Tips to it somehow, that seems the weak point, easily damaged.:gw

There really is no definite time on calibration I have been told that many go for a lot of years without needing calibration. To calibrate you send the meter back along with $US 40 and they send it back (without the money). They have a cute trick for determining the need for calibration. On the other hand this thing could be totally whacked and I would never know. :eek:

I hope this helps as I say I really do not have experience with other meters and my experience with this one is limited.

Biollante