Berkeley, CA: Traveling Suggestions...

PhillyB

Prolific Poster
Dec 27, 2006
I will be traveling to the Berkeley, CA area at the end of May this year. I will be a short distance from San Francisco (I believe it is ~16 mile ride) and will have some free time during my stay to do some sight seeing and general relaxing. I believe a lot of people on this forum are from the area and I am wondering if you had any suggestions for places to visit, things to see...

Aquariums?
Nice bay areas? Any places I can do some "natural" sight seeing/hiking?
Good Cali. Food stops!?
Other stuff?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
PhillyB;13969 said:
I will be traveling to the Berkeley, CA area at the end of May this year. I will be a short distance from San Francisco (I believe it is ~16 mile ride) and will have some free time during my stay to do some sight seeing and general relaxing. I believe a lot of people on this forum are from the area and I am wondering if you had any suggestions for places to visit, things to see...

Aquariums?
Nice bay areas? Any places I can do some "natural" sight seeing/hiking?
Good Cali. Food stops!?
Other stuff?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

I live here so I ought to know a thing or two:)
Albany Aquarium is right next to Berk.
Aqua Forest is near Japanatown and Ocean Aquarium is a short ride from there.

I'd see those.
Food, well, hard to go wrong in China town, or to know what you are eating, North beach has lots of great Itaian food, there's a great Chinese place in Berk, there's Spangler's Fish Grotto, and old school fish diner in Berk, Berk has lots of places to eat. Several good Indian and Thai food places.

There are museums all over.
I'd suggets you drive over to Marin county for hiking and nature.

Go out to Pt Reyes to McClure's beach. You will not be disappointed.
Make a day of it. Drive up and over MtTam, one of the best views you'll ever see.
Beaches in Marine are wonderful.

Fairfax Bolinus highway is the best little curve road through and is a super drive.

Many hiking trails abound.

The best hike in Marin is likely the hike to Alamere Falls in Pt Reyes.
4.1 miles each way, Bass lake is a great place to do the tarzan rope swing 30ft in the air. Best swimming hole in Marin. Note, plenty of Aquatic plants on the hike and lots of flowers.
The hike is about 3 miles along the bluffs overlooking to coast, then you hike down to Alamere falls, about a 50 ft year round water fall spilling directly onto the beach.

The drive along HYW 1 north or South of SF is awesome.
The farther you go, the neater it is.

Regards,
Tom Barr

PhillyB

Prolific Poster
Dec 27, 2006
Awesome!

Thanks for the reply. I did some searches on google for the hiking spots you mentioned and they look great!

PhillyB

Prolific Poster
Dec 27, 2006
Marin County was a great suggestion! A highlight of my trip!

We decided to do a hike right near McClure's Beach to Point Tomales. We got to see the Elk and once we got to Tomales point were pleasantly surprised to catch a peak at some whales,

I ate my fill of sushi in Oakland and Berkeley. Eating in chinatown was a great experience. I don't know what they kept putting in front of me most of the time, but it was good and cheap.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Glad you liked the place. McClure's is a great beach, my favorite in Marin.
I use to live near there. I'll likely buy a home somewhere there in Marin. Chinatown has great food and is just a fun place to wonder around.
The Botanical garden at UCB is awesome also.

I forgot about that one.

Good to see some whale, I saw them when they where in West Sacramento actually of all places.

The drive to the beach is good also. Those Elk chased Dan and I once when they where in "rut". Huge herds and large stands of Valley oaks use to fill the Central Valley, now we have ag and roads and no more Elk. They have a nice home out there. They get loose and you can find them all up and down the Pt Reyes these days.

Regards,
Tom Barr