This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner question - Dry Start Method

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by bonga, Aug 10, 2014.

1. bonga

bonga New Member

Local Time:
    2:57 PM
    Hi All,

Understand that there's sticky post already about DSM. But since the thread was locked, with all my respect to member here i would like to seek some advise on my current DSM.

Below is some question which i dont quite clear yet.

1. Water level - I saw on Tom's thread about DSM and if i'm not wrong the water level is just right same level with lowest side on our tank. But also i saw many post about DSM, they didnt put any water on the tank. Its only use spray and mist maker to make the soil moist. Question is which one i need to follow ? Non water or water ?

2. Moist and temperature - What is the maximum moist level for DSM ? I'm using hygrometer and it's showing 80-90%. Also for temperature, since i'm wrapping my tank and use light for 10 hours, temperature can hit 30 degree celcius.

3. Saran Wrap - Saran wrap is utilized for keeping the moist right ? If i can maintain the moist using mist maker, did i still need to wrap my tank ?

For your reference, i'm living at Indonesia which is pretty humid like Singapore. And my tank size 90*40*50.

I hope anyone who successful with DSM can share to me.

Thanks a lot and have a good weekend.

2. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    I kept my tank at about 70% humidity, I had it much higher, around 95 and ended up getting a mold or fungus that damaged some of the plants, after backing off that went away.

I didn't worry about temp, I expect mine was getting that high too, but one thing I did make sure of was that the water line was never visable. Standing water will lead to problems, but as long as the water level is under the substrate it should be okay.

One last thing, to attain that humidity level I found I couldn't cover it with serran wrap entirely, I had to leave a gap of about an inch or two open in the back. I'm sure this was good for getting new CO2 rich air in the tank as well.

Whiskey

3. bonga

bonga New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Whiskey, appreciate your kind feedback

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    I kept the tank open during DSM. This prevented mold. I also kept the water level as low as possible without drying out. I placed the tank by the window and used sunlight to drive growth; cheaper than using electricity. I misted it every now and then to add moisture back that had evaporated. I think I waited 2 months or so before flooding.