This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner help? Is thisExcel supported fertilizer plan appropriate for my tank/goals?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by duganderson, Aug 27, 2012.

1. duganderson

duganderson Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:20 AM
    I recently started a 6 or 7 gallon planted cube tank with medium intensity LED light (approximate equivalent to 3 watts/g.)? I added 2 inches of Eco Complete and Anubias Bartei Nana, Anacharis, Dwarf Sag and Water Wisteria. Fish include a Beta, a few other small fish (soon to be added like cardinal tetras or CPD), and a japenese algae shrimp. I plan to add more plants today. I would like a fairly simple fertilizer plan with medium growth until my plants get bigger. Then I plan to back off on Excell for a slow growth, low pruning plan.

I'm planning to use the Barr Report inspired method specified in the article:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/guide-low-tech-excel-planted-tank/

The article recommend...

Dosing fertilizers and Excel:
    A 20 gallon tank using excel should get:

1/8 teaspoon of KNO3, 1-2x a week
    1/16 teaspoon of KH2PO4, 1-2x a week
    2mls of Seachem Flourish, 2x a week
    SeaChem Equilibrium 1/8th once a week (Immediately after weekly water change)
    50% weekly water change
    Dose 1-1.5x the recommended dose for Excel (1 ml for every 10 gallons on a daily basis and 5ml for every 10 gallon after 40% or more water changes).

Is this a good plan for my tank? Any other recommendations, changes to this plan, etc.

The article recommends that small tanks under 10 gallons like mine may require 5-6 watts per gallon.......is this likely to be a problem for me since my tank is an LED with more like 3 watts/gallon.

I have two inches of EcoComplete but no Leonardite or Peat underneath it. Is this OK or do I need to add one of these? The tank has been set up with plants, betta and shrimp already. Would I need to move the fish, plants, and shrimp to another tank for a while if I added this due to amonia spike, etc.

Thank you VERY much!

#1 duganderson, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012