This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Been At It About A Year And Know Less That I Did When I Started!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by diverjoe, Apr 16, 2018.

1. diverjoe

diverjoe New Member

Local Time:
    3:47 AM
    Sad but true! I have a lot more book learning and have learned way more chemistry, electronics, fluid systems and biology that I ever thought possible. But, it seems I still cannot get things to grow. I am a 35yr veteran IT guy and so I automated everything I could. CO2, automated 5gal nightly water changes with RODI + remineralization, Daily dosing of a "heavy" PPS Pro aligning with the "cant really get too much" idea. EC, PH, Temp, water level with ATO (automatic top off) LED lights following a sinusoidal curve across the day so the fish don't get spooked when it comes on. The first couple of months, (before I got so smart) plants were all growing great. I had to "mow" on a weekly basis. Something happened along the way that I cannot seem to overcome. Got lots of algae and recurring Cyano outbreaks. Stats are good and fish are good. Everyone healthy and breeding regularly. The plants do show new grow. Actually had 2 gens of Danios which is weird. I know I am struggling to keep the DOC at bay as my plants tend to die a few inches below where the new growth is. I have pulled at least an additional 20 gallons a month from the tank as a bulk change thinking that the 5g each night has put me behind in flow somehow.

Anyway, there is lots more to the story and maybe I will type it all out on here in hopes of reaching some kind of catharsis. I hope this doesn't end like my foray into golf. Once I realized that I would never be good I was able to give it up and move on. I like enjoying things as they are better. All my automation was so I could enjoy the tank and just watch the fish and plants do their thing instead of become a slave to daily repetitive routines.
    Peace....

#1 diverjoe, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Phishless likes this.
  2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:47 AM
    Don't mind the little things!

Start a journal here, post some pics, get some answers!
    WTH it can't hurt.

You started out good, I mean "Sad but True" Metallica tune???
    Can't be all that bad?:D