This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Bba On Manzanita Wood And Lava Rocks

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by rs18alpha, Jul 6, 2018.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    4:27 PM
    If we need to get into the lighting, co2 and water parameters on my tank then we can address that later if need be.
    What I'm looking for is any basic suggestions on how to Kill or control BBA .

A short while ago I did back off my co2 because I thought it was too much. When I looked at the bubble counter it was going pretty fast. I really don't know why I backed it off. The past few weeks is when I started to see the BBA.

I'm going to re do this tank and I don't want to use any lava rocks or driftwood that has any BBA on it.

2. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:27 AM
    Spray it with peroxide to kill it.

If you're gonna be taking the wood and rocks out spray it down with peroxide and let it sit 30 minutes, repeat. Scrape off what you can, repeat the peroxide, do it a couple more times for good measure. Should be good to go

Clorox will kill it immediately but it may bleach the materials more than you'd like

If you're trying to kill it inside the tank turn all the circulation off and do peroxide for 15-20 minutes. Probably will take a few treatments

Obviously dont use Clorox inside the tank!

3. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks. Any idea why this stuff shows up?

4. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:27 AM
    Unhealthy plants and/or dirty conditions

Greggz likes this.
  5. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Agree with Burr above, and in my experience too much flow can bring it out.

6. a1matt

a1matt Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I've been testing out neat distilled vinegar on bba and clado.
    So far so good.
    I'm yet to find the lowest effective in tank dosage and contact time. I'm down to 3ml and filter off for 2min at present. This is enough to kill a small spot in one application.

I'm wary of causing a sudden drop in oxygen levels, so am treating small areas each time.

burr740 likes this.
  7. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    a1matt, that's interesting.

a1matt likes this.
  8. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    I thought a lot of flow was a good way to suppress algae growth??

9. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yeah I think good flow is somewhat misunderstood sometimes. You want good flow, so CO2 gets to all areas of tank.

But you don't want plants waving around frantically. Fine line between good flow and mayhem. Large volume of gentle flow providing circulation is good. Too strong power heads blowing things around is not.

And algae, especially BBA, seems to love to attach at high flow areas. Pretty well documented by many.

Phishless and burr740 like this.
  10. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    I didn't know that! I'll have most of my flow in the front where they're aren't any plants.
    Thanks for the input.

11. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    11:27 AM
    I spray with peroxide on exposed rock and plants in weekly WC when the water level is low. I do 75% WC so only a few inches are left unexposed. I spray everything exposed including heater, filter intakes, glass underneath the light, and submersible LEDs. After I refill the tank, I dose 5X Excel following SeaChem recommended dosage after WC. So it's a one two punch in reverse order. The bba will die off and turn red the next few days and my bristle nose pleco will finish them off. There is no need to scrap it if you have enough algae eaters to do the removal job.

I think high light and higher CO2 can keep out BBA from vigorous growing plants, but hardscape is non living and can't fight off BBA. Cutting down light (but not CO2) may help as Amano tanks have high percentage hardscape but grow only low light plants.

#11 tiger15, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    burr740 likes this.
  12. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks tiger15 good info.

Tags: