bba issues

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
is there any way my co2 drop checker could be yellow and co2 levels be low? I dont see any pearling so i am starting to wonder if the checker is off. Can we assume pearling is a good indicator of acceptable co2 levels?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Yes, it is possible. A DC should be changed weekly (at best) and at least once every 2 weeks.

Pearling is a good indicator for some things, but not that C02 levels are adequate.....

If you had pearling yesterday and not today for example, and all else is equal, then something is off.....

However, if your plants are weakened from battling algae, it may be that they are not growing/pearling at this point until the conditions are better.

Plants need time to get going again once conditions are prime, esp if weakened from a prolonged deficiency sitiuation...

Check your flow as well to ensure it gets to all areas........

Hope this helps.

Chiya

Prolific Poster
Jun 23, 2008
Hi ccLansman,

I'm new to planted tanks and I've also had issues with BBA and BGA previously.
Thanks to the advice given here, I managed to win the battle.
Hope my experience in the recent battle can help you.

1. This can't be said enough. Your lighting is too much. Even if there's no BBA, some other algae issues will arise with that much light. I've tried 5wpg and it was disastrous. It's like driving an F1 vehicle full speed and into an algae wall.
Patches of algae can appear within 1 day.
Reduce the lighting. I know using wpg is not a good guide, but 2wpg is a good start for us beginners.

2. Circulation. Chris and Hoppy reminded me many times that circulation is very important. Good circulation will distribute nutrients well around the tank.
I've had areas in my tank that had lousy circulation. Guess where the BGA appeared. (no prizes for correct answer :D ).
Noticed in your earlier post that your powerhead is blowing back at the rainbar.
I.e "RAIN BAR" ---->

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
thanks for the great info. What would you guys recommend for pump setup? I have two powerheads and my rain bar.

like this
--------------------------------------------- -
RB---------> _________ __________________intake -
------------------------------------------------

tcmfish

Junior Poster
Jun 5, 2008
I would make them work together so:

Intake

Get a tumbling action going JMO there are so many different flow patterns for so many different tanks and you will have to tinker with what is best but that would be a good start I think.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
good news, picked up a second filter. what would be the most effective way to have them set up?

both outputs on one side, both inputs on the other?

both outputs on one side, one input on either side?

both out and both in same side?

one out and one in oppsite sides?

same out as in on one side and same out as in on the other?

thanks.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
here is how my tank is currently laid out:

can anyone suggest how i might set up my two filters and 1 powerhead? And or rearrange my setup to work better?

thanks.

the triangle thing on the right is two pieces of wood, the two triangles in the middles are rocks, the guy on the left is a hand made tiki dude my wifes mom made, and all the way to the left is a large very pourus volcanic rock.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I would place an INTAKE on each side of the tank.

Then position the OUTTAKES on each side (next to the intakes) to go across the tank, to be picked up by the opposite strainers.

Play with this to see how the intakes pick up debris, and the type of flow/current patterns you get.

Establish this as best as possible, and THEN use the powerhead to supply flow to any dead areas...

Hope this helps.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
what is the opinion on the mid day light break? So on for 4 hours, off for two, on for 4? Is this a bad thing or good or doesent make any difference? Or should i just stick to a 8-10 hr day?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
IMO and IME this does not help and can hurt. Algae can respond to light/no light faster than higher plants. There is no need to shade the plants for any period of time. Constant light will be better for them. Time outs will only help the algae.

If you want more light, go two bulbs for say 9 hours and then have 2 more go on about 3 hrs into it for 3 hours, and then off:

Light 1: 9-6
Light 2: 12-3

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
any problems overdosing co2 to say 40+ppm? If the DC is constantly yellow but the fish are not showing any signs of problems is it ok to leave it at this?