This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

BBA and.. id please

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Sintei, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Sintei

Sintei Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

So, ive got these algea.
    About the BBA. Ive gone after it aggresively (tried to remove alot and changed water 2 consecutive days). It only sits on my root and small patches on my anubias. But the root gets covered very fast.

What is that other algea? It isnt so ugly on my anubias, but it goes after my althernadra reinickii (errous spelling i know) too. Only these 2 are the ones with algea (and the root).

I have 3x18w (2 aquastar/1 grolux).
    112L (~30g).
    Dosing 3 times a week then waterchange.
    KNO3 Abit more than 3/8tsp
    KH2PO4 3/16tsp

Its alot of KH2PO4 because i thought that would cure my problem.

Also, my althernandra reinickii has curved/bent leaves.

Anyone?
    Regards
    /Nicklas
    pic below:
    [​IMG]

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

CO2.

Had this and have seen this with no other changes other than CO2.
    I've seen such tanjks many many times over the years, with good consistent CO2/EI, it will go away, if not, then you need to refocus on CO2.

Many newbies and even advanced folks don't believe me, but that matters much less and what does matter is that the advice is correct.

By reducing CO2 levels in a tank, I can see the causal effect. Nutrients are easy to maintain, simply dose what you have been doing all along, that does not change easily.

CO2 is the lion's share of the nutrient/uptake/fertilizer of all of the essential nutrients.

45% or so of a plant's biomass is CO2.
    I look at the photo, I do not see algae so much, I see poor plant health/growth.

Then I ask why might the plants beign growing poorly.
    Is it because of the high NO3, PO4, Fe. GH etc?

Of course not, we do not see that in other tanks with good CO2.

I think many hear me say more CO2, but they do not add enough or think they already are adding enough.

It also takes some time for the CO2 and nutrients to have some effect on some plants.

See the Rotala thread here with my response to Cousinkenni.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Sintei

Sintei Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I figured youd say CO2 ;)
    However, ive been upping the CO2 plenty of times now. Only to have killed my catfish and my new apistos.
    In terms of CO2 what kind of span is there between enough/not enough for plants considering the health of my fish?
    Example, lethargic catfish should mean there is plenty of CO2? And if theyre moving around the CO2 is low?

My cardinals seems to have no problem at all while my catfish and siamees algeaeter barely moves.

I have a filter for +500L and flow is high. It is aimed towards the surface creating good cirkulation.
    My althernandra reinickii have very curved leaves, maybe im missing some nutrient? Im not adding any GH, it seemed when i did, i got staghorn (or whatever its called).
    Regards
    Nicklas

4. jerime

jerime Expired Subscriber

Well I had the same problem as you - when I up the CO2 I tend to loose some fish, so over the years I learned to compromise - I maintain as high level as I can and don't buy some sensitive fish.
    UP the co2 until you see the fish gasping for air then lower it a little. That s'd be the amount of CO2 you add.

The algae - cut off any leave affected. dont leave anything in the aquarium.
    Adjust your ferts level (work EI or anything else) - maintain good levels of ferts.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Do not skimp of surface movement and current, get a stable needle valve and method to add CO2, only add it during the day.

Folks often do not have good surface movement thus poor O2 and poor plant growth etc,

So make sure to have enough.

Regards,
    Tom Barr