This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

BBA and Glosso

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, Nov 19, 2006.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I have a 46 gallon, non CO2, 2 watts/gallon planted tank with glosso as a ground cover. My problem is that BBA has set in on the flourite and glosso. If I attempt to pick at that BBA, I get BBA and glosso, sometimes. I've cleaned filters, substrate as best as, is there any way I can get rid of the BBA without destroying the glosso? I had a thought-would a blackout work on BBA as well as BGA, or for that matter, any other type of algae besides BGA?Thx in advance.

Walter:D

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I think your BBA may be due to your non-CO2 and 2wpg - too much light.

Blackouts don't work on BBA, nor most algae.

Have you tried the overdosing Flourish Excel method? I fear that this will only be a temporary measure though.

You need to solve the cause of the BBA and inject CO2.

I have personal experience of Excel, you may be able to use this instead of CO2 but it will work out more $$$, and probably less effective.

3. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Too much light...

Edited: Tom's right on the W/C's I forgot about the rebound affect. Old habits die hard ! My Bad !!!

Double dose Excel. SAE's and Amano shrimp would help, but until you go to Co2 this will be a re-occuring scenario. You could lower the light, and dose religeously W/ Excel for the short term.

The thing is, if I see BBA I know I can simply increase Co2, and watch it melt away in a matter of days. You can do that W/ Tanked Co2 ! ;) If You don't want to go to Co2 then simply decrease the light.

What is your W/C routine ? What is your light cycle ? and Yes I'm Paul Parroting George, he's right of course. Good Luck, Prof M

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Stop doing water changes.
    Add a SAE or two.
    If you have a high bioload, reduce it.

Read the non CO2 method I suggest here.
    Trim the BBA off the plants, remove the grains.

The stopping of the water changes will solve most BBA related issues in non CO2 methods.

Excel will work to get rid of things but you need to get rid of water changes and root causes.

Light is fine, but you could likely also stand to add more plant biomass.

Regards,
    Tom Barr