Battleing Brush algae??

nicklfire

May 8, 2007
Hey all,

Well here at my stats. Running a 55gallon aquarium, 2 x 65 watt 6500 coralife. Tanks been setup for a long time, with many redesigns. Dosing EI, pressurized co2 with a drop checker and rinox diffuser.

About 2 months ago i did a redesign on my tank, ripped all the plants up and i'm guessing that i spiked somthing because after my redesign i've surcome to Beard algae, not a nice little algae. As i've read it's a form of red algae??

Anyways this stuff is conquiring my blyxa japonica, crypts, java ferns, even my equiptment and most recently my inlet for my filter. My new dwarf hairgrass that i planted about a month ago.. it's growing.. but just infested with the beard algae now.

I've been continuing to dose EI and doing my weekly 50% water changes. I dont know how i would have spiked this algae but i am not sure how to get rid of it without starting over.

I guess i could prune all my plants until every brush algae is gone but i would be left with hardly any plants.

My tanks planted pretty good, and i got tons of the japonica plants growing.. which are a fast growing stem plant i assume.

i don thave any other fast growers than the blyxa, i used to have tons of vals until my cat ripped them all out over a 2 week period so i dont know if i'm losing the battle because lack of fast growing stems... but i have alot of other plants in there.

Just recently my florabase substrate is getting infested with the algae so i need some help.

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hi nicklfire,
Generally, BBA is associated with CO2 deficiency. This could mean insufficient injection rate but can also mean poor distribution. You may want to give Excel a try along with removal and trimming.

Cheers,

nicklfire

May 8, 2007
well i had been figiting with my co2 levels... my drop checkers reading a light green color.. might have to clean it out.. and use more regeant to get a better green and try that, might just have to up the co2 and see what happens than. I gues it wouldnt kill the bba just... make it stall right. So i'll get clipping and see what happens i suppose.