This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Bart Laurens recipe for DIY clay with CSMB root tabs?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by deepgreen, Oct 20, 2017.

1. deepgreen

deepgreen Member

Local Time:
    3:55 PM
    I am trying to find a cheap way to provide micros as root tabs and thought about clay balls with CSMB in the center similar to regular macro clay balls. However, I recently read that Bart Laurens makes his own clay powder plus CSMB root tabs. Does anybody happen to know his recipe, e.g how much CSMB per clay powder and what type of clay powder he uses? I could not find anything about it except what I wrote.

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    11:55 PM
    I have not seen his formula. But from pictures on his website, he puts CSM+B into capsules and shoves them under needy plants. He does the same thing with clay balls. I don't know if he blends the CSM with clay balls...I never asked.

deepgreen likes this.
  3. deepgreen

deepgreen Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the information. I will try to make a mixture of clay and CSM+B, dry it and use as root tabs. I hope this will lead to slow release of micros. I am interesting to see what happens if the roots take up the micros versus water column dosing.

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    11:55 PM
    I posed this question to Bart over the weekend. He is going to update his website to clarify things. Will let you know when that happens.

FWIW, if you recall my most recent root-feeding experiment in the Rotala Kill Tanks, most plants were perfectly fine when their roots were directly touching the tablets which contain several thousand ppm of minerals. If you expose leaves to the same level of concentration, you'd burn them.

deepgreen likes this.
  5. deepgreen

deepgreen Member

Local Time:
    I am looking forward to the update. Thanks again!

I remember that you pointed out the extremely high levels of minerals at the roots without any toxic effects. Maybe it is possible to provide the plants everything they need through the roots without the need to match exactly their preferences in the water column. Obviously, it is possible given the excellent results with fresh ADA AS and no additional water column fertilization.