Barr's manzy, brachy, stumpy bonsai, pre soaked, aged

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
resizedtruckfullofwood.jpg

I have not soaked these yet, these turn a nice brown color and all sink well after a few days.
I'm going to sell a fair amount of this wood through the BarrReport only.
I'll post some more as I go through and lay the various pieces out etc.

Note, this is only a 1/4 cord worth of wood, so the permit is for 3 cords, or 12 batches like this one.
I've trimmed off the bottoms of some to give a nice base to some of the more interesting pieces.

I found 3-4 that are really nice for shallow longer tanks/scapes.
1 epic piece, not sure if I can part with, 4-5 real nice pieces along the lines what Gerry got, and then some.

I found 3 new sites according the the rangers I spoke with today, they clued me in to the best sites for old dead manzy wood on the south rocky dry sides of the mountains.

So there's bound to be a few more trips before the snow seals things off for the fall/winter.
Boxing the wood is tough. So what I try to do is to fit one nice dramatic piece in the box, might need to snip a piece here or there to fit it, then pack the rest with more smaller pieces that can fit and be wedged in the box. Sometimes I can pack a few nicer pieces together, sometimes not without getting crazy on ship cost. So it's better for both if I pack a box with smaller pieces. I'll detail some tricks to deal with the wood, and place it easier also using slate bottom and a ceramic drill drill, pre drill the wood as well. This will help keep the wood in position when you set up the tank.

So this allows the aquarist to play around with many different arrangements.
What helps is a specific goal in mind from you, the tank size, and general ideas/layout plans you have.

Pics of other wood you like etc also helps.
Often I can find some fairly specific for folks with good sized tanks.
I look for smaller bonsai looking trees, not long branchy things.
I also look for nice flat front to back pieces so I can ship them easier, they also take up less room in the aquarium layout as well.

Since I do a fair amount of scaping and wood in my tanks, I know what to look for aesthetically.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

My god! I seriously just about went into cardiac arrest. That is quality stuff! Worth buying a tank for! That seriously makes me want to consider getting something bigger than a 120P this fall. I'll have to earn some money pronto so I can get some before the best stuff is gone.
Tom Burr. haha. I guess there's no choice, you're gonna need to shave to get those things off. No hair, no burrs, eh? ;)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Tom,

That is a nice load of manzy wood!

Summary of my experiences with Tom's manzy:

1) great looking stuff!
2) packaged well. Not many broken twigs when opened. Integrity and structure of wood was well maintained.
3) does darken up quickly but nicely.
4) will leach some and darken the water. Mine lasted about 3-4 weeks with large weekly water changes. Had a tint but noticeable. Actually quite nice. I soak mine for 2-3 weeks first to avoid
some of this.
5) Will start to sink within 2-4 weeks based on size and config. I advise using rocks as Tom advises above. Gravel will not hold any larger branches. Too buoyant.
6) fish love it!
7) last but not least....totally worth the $....:) very reasonable IMO as a) no manzy here locally, b) Tom knows my tank and we communicated on what I was looking for first, so it was kind of custom in a way...If Tom is going to provide even some pics you can really pick what you need...

Glad to see you have such a haul Tom and that you are willing to share.

I advise folks to take advantage if they can...I have more than I need now, but can share some with other folks as well...or save for future projects and changes...

Later.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
My point here is more about providing some nicer pieces, less volume but better specific wood for the BarrReport folks.
I can get a ton of plainer wood, but I am not in the business of of wood really, more looking for the perfect piece, a QUEST.
But when I see some nicer pieces, I have a hard time passing them up.

It's also nice to be able to pick and chose what I am looking for, and if I do not get the perfect piece, no biggie........they go out back and can be sold off.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
wood111.jpg

CL wanted a branch inverted scape for the 120cm long ADA tank.

This is what I came up with.
This will be about 100$, and then shipping, which will likely be in 30-50$ range.

But the 4 ft tank will be packed and look nice.

The tops can be trimmed and drilled for holes to put house plants to emergent terrestrial plants for open top designs.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
31#
IMG_2942.jpg

32#
IMG_2943.jpg

33#
IMG_2944.jpg

This one is not for sale, but it's a beaut
IMG_2938.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Pricing.

Well, I have a different way to go about this, tell me what you want etc, scape ideas etc........pics help........and then I'll give you a price based on the pieces you want/best suited.
I add extra smaller branches in with this because the weight is not much of an issue for those, it's the bulk of the main pieces of wood.

This helps with more options for your scape and everything still matches.
I charge only actual FedEx or UPS prices.
I can trim some things down for packing etc, most of these are under 48" x 16" x20"

So it's more over sized box charge than anything to do with weight.
Once the plants are in, you cannot tell which brach is really part of the main piece, so those extras can really help.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

Hell yeah Tom! Almost makes me forget I'm getting wisdom teeth out tomorrow.
Very, very cool. So pumped!

The last piece looks like some kind of modern sculpture of a person. If you can't find a tank for it just yet, would look nice as a centerpiece on a table :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The pics here do not do the wood justice, once soaked and seen in person, they are really nice. They do not require any brushing etc, just some soaking to water log them, a few days etc is all.
I have a batch of smaller pieces not listed, some of these are added to the nice larger pieces as extras.

Take lots of drugs and try to sleep as much as you can for the teeth for the next 2 days.
The first 2 days suck.

Damn Neanderthal DNA (along with the hair).

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

i got lotds indisn lood in my. I hsd teo test like my uunvl sppsrrny.
Can'y wait to grt tho eood
Edit: Sorry guys. I was a little out of it :rolleyes: I was trying to say something about having lots of native American indian DNA in me. Is it sad that one of the main things keeping me in a good mood right now is getting this driftwood? haha. Or maybe it's the pain medication :p

Last edited:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'll pack it tonight later.
From there a price for ship cost.

I can also take pics with the bottom area of the tank drawn out as well to give folks a better idea for sizing if they tell me their tank size, dimensions etc.

CL's will have about 4-6" in front without any wood, so there is space.
It'll look really nice once done if you add this wood+ ADA 120 tank + open top, ADA AS + a bunch of nice short foreground plants, a few crypts etc in the back, moss on some of the branches etc.

I wish I have more tanks to scape myself.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

Tom Barr;53487 said:
I'll pack it tonight later.
From there a price for ship cost.

I can also take pics with the bottom area of the tank drawn out as well to give folks a better idea for sizing if they tell me their tank size, dimensions etc.

CL's will have about 4-6" in front without any wood, so there is space.
It'll look really nice once done if you add this wood+ ADA 120 tank + open top, ADA AS + a bunch of nice short foreground plants, a few crypts etc in the back, moss on some of the branches etc.

I wish I have more tanks to scape myself.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Haha. Great! That was almost my exact plan for the plants. I'm pumped!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
2 shipments went out. They got some larger sets, shipping is right around 45$ for larger sets and the extras via FedEx home delivery. Better than UPS by 20$.
I'll be heading out to a new location this week on advice from several USDA Rangers for more gnarled wood. I can get plain old manzy anywhere, but I'm after neat interesting pieces for myself.
I cull the pieces and then am left with about 5% I will keep.
I think the folks that are getting the wood will make most folks pretty jealous.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

I know I'd be jealous if I wasn't already getting in on this deal!