"Balance" 65 Gallon Dutch Aquascape, ((( Plants Are In!!! )))

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Well I can finally start the 65 Gallons journal! what a toy this will be, my first high tech but not my first Dutch. I previously practiced many different aquascapes in my 5.5 Gallon and my Fluval V 5 Gallon. But this will be my first Large aquascape.
I bet some people are anxious though since I have spent my entire forum life saying "It will be here one day! My amazing 65G Dutch aquascape!!!" But guess what, its here. Anyway I hope You enjoy the journal and keep up with it as I update it!
Thank you for tuning in.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Currently I am doing a fish in cycle with 3 giant zebra danios, just filled the tank today as well. Currently there is nothing "high tech" about it as I just set it up, and haven't even ordered the filter (hydor canister filter possible inline heater) or the Co2 equiptment, substrate, lighting, inhabitants, I have ordered some of the plants since they were on sale at buceplant, but other than that nothing else.
Now here is the proof...
2gua41y.jpg

34ipes2.jpg

10fw9jn.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Singh

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Congrats on the new tank! What are the dimensions?
Howdy LRj,
I remember I posted them somewhere before... its like 29" tall? (these are estimates btw), 30 something wide and 20 something in length maybe IDK ill do measurements today and get back to you. Its just a standard 65. In the mean time though here are some, more, exact measurments I just googled :p 37 x 19 x 25 (sounds about right)

Dman

Subscriber
Jun 2, 2017
Winnipeg Canada
Oooo... Very excited for you. If I had to guess it would be LxWxH 36"x18"x24". What light(s) are you planning to go with? My 55g looks near identical in height, in fact your tank looks dam near identical period.

Dan

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Oooo... Very excited for you. If I had to guess it would be LxWxH 36"x18"x24". What light(s) are you planning to go with? My 55g looks near identical in height, in fact your tank looks dam near identical period.

Dan
Where did you get your tank? I got this guy from petsmart on clearance. Brand new as well!
Lighting....
Damn..
Never thought id be asked this question... Plan on going with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-Designer-FLP24-4-Tube-Fixture/dp/B007FGE6C0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1493843248&sr=8-18&keywords=t5+fixture&th=1 or like this, think anyone is better than the other? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7NQYII/?tag=barrreport-21
If not those ill get like 2 or 3 fresh 2.0's or something idk. Lighting for a tank this deep has really stumped me, not much help either with what to get in terms of High Light.

Dman

Subscriber
Jun 2, 2017
Winnipeg Canada
Where did you get your tank? I got this guy from petsmart on clearance. Brand new as well!
Lighting....
Damn..
Never thought id be asked this question... Plan on going with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-Designer-FLP24-4-Tube-Fixture/dp/B007FGE6C0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1493843248&sr=8-18&keywords=t5+fixture&th=1 or like this, think anyone is better than the other? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7NQYII/?tag=barrreport-21
If not those ill get like 2 or 3 fresh 2.0's or something idk. Lighting for a tank this deep has really stumped me, not much help either with what to get in terms of High Light.

I got my 55g at petsmart as well it was on sale 50% off a couple years ago. Yeah lighting is definitely something I will be replacing closer to the end of the year.

Dan

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Just received my FANTASTIC shipment of plants from buceplant!
wow just look at the quality!
2w1xhsm.jpg

They called this one "Downoi" I call it "Blended Broccoli"

2qmi0sk.jpg

msc8c6.jpg

This is supposed to be Hygrophilia Corymbosa Compact, personally I named it 4 sticks because all the leaves fell off as soon as it hit water.

726a0x.jpg

Hard to see in the pic but this thing had bent stems within the wrapping, algae all over it before I picked some of the longer strings off, and half the bottoms had 0 leaves.

I asked them for a full refund (was 100$ including shipping) because 3 other plants I ordered didn't even come and they are on the receipt.
My buceplant rating: 1 star, I could get better at petsmart...

Last edited:

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
UK
barrreport.com
View attachment 4119

View attachment 4120
View attachment 4121
This is supposed to be Hygrophilia Corymbosa Compact, personally I named it 4 sticks because all the leaves fell off as soon as it hit water.

View attachment 4122
Hard to see in the pic but this thing had bent stems within the wrapping, algae all over it before I picked some of the longer strings off, and half the bottoms had 0 leaves.

I asked them for a full refund (was 100$ including shipping) because 3 other plants I ordered didn't even come and they are on the receipt.
My buceplant rating: 1 star

Not good :( they have lost there touch, how long did the delivery take?

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Not good :( they have lost there touch, how long did the delivery take?
Week and a 1/2, they told me that was their usually shipping time. I've received faster priority from CA than them (members on the forum).
I emailed them with a DOA form and still haven't gotten a response. Which is ok, im just saying I requested a full refund.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Just got a full refund from buceplant, that's the second place ive ordered plants from thats online (like a personal business, with website) and have had horrible outcomes with. Really discouraged to do so again, oh well. More money for the members on the forum! ;)

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
I am tuned in Dutch. Very excited. Glad you got a refund on those plants, I would have been furious...

Sorry that made me laugh, blended broccoli... They should give you more than a refund, more like some free quality plants...

I have only bought plants from one online retailer
http://www.aquariumplants.com/ Website states 30,000 gallon nursery
They are in Florida, but they have next day and second day delivery options.
The plants were in amazing condition, until I started killing them ;(
I got pictures of the shipment I got from them, if you are interested in trying another website...

Dale.

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
2e1vnk0.jpg

Still empty, the shabunkin (I think?) came from the aquaponics system for the cycle, hes a happy little dude it seems. Wont be there in the long run. Still trying to find out what soil to use. Don't want to go dirted as it has to many risks I think... Amazonia is way expensive and I don't know if I want to spend that much money.... And there is always inert sand or a brown inert substrate from substrate source...

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
pool filter sand or blasting sand ?
I say clay for the win! I read a post somewhere about people crushing clay pots for a cheap substrate.
or some turface !

LRJ

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2014
Georgia, USA
@DutchMuch Classic Dutch style substrate is light-colored about 1-2 mm sand or gravel. Couple of widely available options in the US are CaribSea 'Peace River' gravel and 'Torpedo Beach' sand. Pool filter sand will also work well, a little small but will work just fine and is nice and cheap. If you're set on going with inert substrate, you might consider these. Of course, the black blasting sand looks incredible in its own right if you go that route, as Burr has shown us all. So I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Ok so I have another fairly large problem (to me),
Just received my co2 diffuser (yet to order the actual heavy equiptment) and little things... And I also got my Hydor Proffesional 350 today as well... Looked fine and normal, followed the directions ON SPOT.
Then I primed it as the directions said, plugged it in afterwards... Nothing happened... Tried again about six more times, nothing.. Nothing but a small vibration and the almost silent noise of the filter trying to work. I contacted hydor to see if they know whats going on, would hate to have to return it im sure shipping is a penny for that...
Why is it everything I buy online from a website (this was from amazon which I usually have great luck with) I receive defective or broken?.. Anyone know why this isn't working.?