"Balance" 65 Gallon Dutch Aquascape, ((( Plants Are In!!! )))

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Didn't want to hijack lovebugs thread

Most domestic discus have adapted to our water parameters, and do fine with our PH. Problem with discuss in a planted tank is they need really high quality water. Barr had/has a really nice planted tank with discus, pretty sure anyway, thought I saw him post it here somewhere. We all know he does frequent large WCs on some of his tanks though, and gets his elbows wet, plus he's Tom Barr I mean common...
An awesome video on discus from the owner of the website simplydiscus.com. It's hosted through kingofdiy YouTube.

Thanks for the links, High Quality water isn't a problem in my case, I can do 50 percent a day if I had the encouragement to do so. Water my garden with it.
I do regularly now, fifty percent every sunday, on all my tanks, would they need it 2 times a week? or not Need it, but if possible, do it?

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
Im a noob Dutch, but I thought the video was extremely informative. Discus in a planted tank shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep up with the wet elbow work and water changes.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Well surprise, light may be coming in sooner than I thought.... :D :D :D
LEts hope because WhEn I get my light
I get my diffuser
then I get tubing
then plants

FINGERS CROSSED!!!!
Fish are coming in on the 21st (cant remember but I think it was 21s or 22nd....) only half the order however, didn't want to put in pacific blue eyes or anything high level because there is no cover yet.

ALSO IF ANYONE HAS THESE ILL BUY THEM FROM YOU OR TRADE IM DESPERATE!:
Pogo Erectus
AR mini
Eleocharis "mini"
Eleocharis Giant.

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
I know AquariumPlants has AR mini for a fact via tissue culture plants, the others I'm not sure. I believe the cup is $7-8

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
I know AquariumPlants has AR mini for a fact via tissue culture plants, the others I'm not sure. I believe the cup is $7-8
Ive ordered online many times, try not to because all have arrived dead. Including AP.
Try to get from the forums because i have never had dead plants arrive.

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
Ive ordered online many times, try not to because all have arrived dead. Including AP.
Try to get from the forums because i have never had dead plants arrive.
I'm sorry to hear that, I've never had issues with AP except my most recent order. Took too long, however since I've moved down south im liking their reduced shipping charge. Are you further west or north is that why you have issues with DOA's?

Christophe

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I got my AR mini as tissue cultures from PetsMart. Gotta be really choosy when picking them -- if they look REALLY good in the package, they'll do ok. If they don't look good, you just bought mush.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
I'm sorry to hear that, I've never had issues with AP except my most recent order. Took too long, however since I've moved down south im liking their reduced shipping charge. Are you further west or north is that why you have issues with DOA's?
Mid central Arkansas

I got my AR mini as tissue cultures from PetsMart. Gotta be really choosy when picking them -- if they look REALLY good in the package, they'll do ok. If they don't look good, you just bought mush.
My petco sold tissue cultures for a bit, some variety yes, and they lasted about a week before they took them down.
Idk why, they sold them expensive though, 10$ for one cup of DHG >.< Was like 1 1/2" diameter

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Yeah plants at petco or petsmart are waaay overpriced

HA, I left AA for similar reasons
Yea, Kent ( think his name was) from aquascaping world forum banned me for spam (posts were 48 minutes apart, and it wasn't spam...)

No warning or anything LOL

What is AA?

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Pic day!
Just did a WC and maintenance.
Later on when the scape is actually being done, I will be sure to make a new journal thread because, that's where the scape Truly begins.

So here are the pics:
pCjLDOy.jpg

I have been trying out the manual focus for still shots (basically still shots) lately and so far im thinking they are looking a bit better. Would love to hear your opinion on that.
Also I am now taking a photography class, for credits, and it starts tomorrow so that should help.

qRIFrLw.jpg

aGr7ENL.jpg

The Brazilian pennywort you see in the picture, and possibly the Bacopa carolinana is not permanent. It is just for the fish & shrimp so they can hide and such.

eB2lziw.jpg

Group Meeting... Wonder what they are planning....

"alright guys, I found a way out, go into the filter and take this pebble to jam the spinny thingy! Then ill swim through, and you guys can find your own way out, sound good?"

iZvtClo.jpg

mYt9VgW.jpg

And a question to end it all:
Blackfin corys, are they just regularly 2x larger than panda corys? I have had my pandas for maybe 1/2 a year now and they are only half the size of the blackfins... Are they just small?

Reactions: Dale Hazey

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
The Thrive+ just got here today!
I'm a NilocG guy, love the products and haven't had problems with them ever. Plus the Customer service is super nice if you ever need it. Highly recommend the company, and the products.
But here are the pictures of the product I got! lol.
s7cwZ1i.jpg

I'm trying out Thrive Plus in this large scale Aquascape... Will be interesting to see how it goes!

Here is a picture of some of some of the "ingredients" in it... No its not gluten free.. :p
OVhP4s8.jpg

Here is the complete Analysis:
3.2% N, 0.8% P, 9.4% K
0.76% Fe, 0.38% Mg, 0.19% Mn
0.009% B, 0.0045% Zn, 0.0001% Cu
0.0009% Mo, 0.000003% Ni .

Last edited:

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
I use Colin for only dry compounds.
Evil scientist approach with scale and such suits me better.

Heard good things about Thrive!

Reactions: DutchMuch

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
I use Colin for only dry compounds.
Evil scientist approach with scale and such suits me better.

Heard good things about Thrive!
yep! I'm looking forward to using it!
I also use his dry fertz as well, couldn't get better. I put on my hazmat suit when I'm doing it to feel special.... lol jk