"Balance" 65 Gallon Dutch Aquascape, ((( Plants Are In!!! )))

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Hydor Filter professional 350 replacement arrived today as well, seems the last one Was broken and I didn't break it. Although this one came with some bent parts, I unfortunately (I swear my luck is awful) had to request just some new parts, their customer service is beyond fantastic imo, I don't mind the filter issues as long as they cooperate, which they have :D

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Found this and I could not resist posting it:
upload_2017-7-26_8-55-0.jpeg

Ok now for the little update: the goldfish and the giant zebra danio are going back to the lfs since the sand is going to be here Wednesday, GLA hasn't shipped out the Co2 tank yet still waiting on that, the new hydor filter works that I got, messaged there customer service what to do with the last one I had 2 times still haven't got a reply in 1 week... But when you get ahold of there customer service its great. I have a surprise for the people watching my Fluval thread, hint "the tank is now dismantled" or is it?
illuminati confirmed.
But seriously that is a real hint to what is going on with the fluval right now. @geektom no spoils ;)
The tank is also done cycling now so when the sand is added, I guess ill get the fish in it, should I? or should I wait for the plants to arrive before I load it with 50 plus fish some of which (like 1) are territorial?

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Well I would like to say, the guy who burnt our farm house (log house) down when I lived in west Virginia finally died, he never went to jail but only got house arrest. He also killed multiple animals on the property.
Thank God he is dead. Just wanted to announce this as now I wont be updating this or any other journals for a bit due to this event.

Reactions: Dennis Singh

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
So a bit is over apparently,
tonight I was playing around with my new filter, the tubes were still super long (its 11:30pm) so I was like "yea ill cut them to make them shorter, and just easier to handle" SO I grab the scissors, go to the filter, get a half full of water five gallon bucket put it near the outflow of the filter, I start to unscrew the adapter thing, and some water comes out, im thinking, ok, well its coming out because there is some water still in this area, so its coming out, coming out, then it stops. I unscrew the whole adapter and all the sudden, water starts GUSHING out of the filter, NON STOP, ALL OVER THE FLOOR, IM GOING APE SHI*, so I am thinking wt* do I do. I quickly try to aim this 10lb canister filter, that is spraying water now EVERYWHERE, into the five gallon bucket, now im on a time limit. The bucket was already halfway full. So im thinking "Maybe I didn't un plug it" by the time I thought that I had about 30 seconds before it overflowed again, so I yank the cord out (ik, dangerous) from behind the tank, wasn't even plugged in. Im thinking "alright im screwed, what in the hell do I do" I couldn't bring all this equipment to the bathtub (about 30ft away) because if I did, water would be in the hallway, and all over. The five gallon bucket at this point has began to overflow, under my bed, under the tank, in the cabinet, all over my room floor there is now about 1/4" of water. (thank God we have vinyl floors). So I try to get a towel and plug in the hole where the water is coming from, didn't work for 2 seconds, to strong current. So I just YANK everything connected (this is where I go in to full retard mode) to the tank, water goes everywhere, im soaked, my cat for some reason is soaked, my fish are soaked. The water kept gushing out for a second then it stopped... I fell down and sat in the now 1" thick water covering my floor. Take a deep breath, and run as quick as I can (I tripped and fell LOL, looking back that part was hilarious) and grab about 16 towels and just throw them all over. After I cleaned up the HUGE mess, the filter was in the bathtub, I was still invigorated. And the tank was 1/2 way empty. So about 32 gallons came out of the tank.
My error, simple, it was the fact that the inflow was in the tank, and it was siphoning.
fml.

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I think you'll have a hard time finding a 24" six bulb hydroponics light. As for the 8 bulb fixture, you'll have to find out how the banks are laid out. Four middle bulbs on one bank and two outside ones on another or?

Here's another option that will give you a ton of flexibility. You can run each bulb on its own, different bulb combinations and photo periods, plus they come in 36" lengths. You can also get a mount to mount them to. I've been considering these light for a bit and still might start out with two on my second 40B and if i feel I need more I'll buy another one.

Sunblaster Nanotech T5HO

Sun Blaster Universal T5 Light Strip Hanger

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
As for the 8 bulb fixture, you'll have to find out how the banks are laid out. Four middle bulbs on one bank and two outside ones on another or?
What is a bank? sorry im new to T5/T8 lighting.
a 24" six bulb hydroponics light
8 it is! Imo I don't like (no offense, thanks for going out of your way btw to get those links) the individual lights, all in one for me!

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Fixtures with 6 or more bulbs will usually have multiple switches/banks. For example on my 6 bulb fixture, the 2 outside bulbs are on 1 switch and power cord and the 4 inside bulbs are on another switch and power cord. The banks/switches having their own power cord is key. This gives me the ability to run each power cord on its own timer, effectively allowing me to reduce the par of the fixture.

The light you linked above has 2 switches which means it has 2 banks of lights, but I can't find anywhere that talks about the bank layout. Ideally you would want 4 inside bulbs on 1 switch/bank and the other 4 outside bulbs on their own switch/bank.

Now the bad news about this fixture and fixtures with multiple switches but only one power cord. This fixture has one power cord, which means you can not run the banks/switches independently of each other on timers. Basically when you use a timer with this fixture either all bulbs or on or all are off. Now in saying that you can manually turn banks of lights on and off using the switches, but who wants to get involved with that nonsense. In the end what you have is a 8 bulb fixture that can run 4 bulbs on a timer and 4 bulbs run manually when you flip the switch. Not that you will ever need 8 bulbs on at once.

Now, if you or someone qualified is handy you can add a second power cord. I have done it, but you'll have to research that on your own.

Just for reference Tom Barr's 180gal ADA style tank has 8 bulbs which he is able to dim. 8 bulbs on your tank will give anything in it a crazy sunburn.

Reactions: DutchMuch

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
Is it too late to drill the tank and add a bulkhead and ball valve? That would be awesome to have a 50% WC the easy way.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Well I would like to say, the guy who burnt our farm house (log house) down when I lived in west Virginia finally died, he never went to jail but only got house arrest. He also killed multiple animals on the property.
Thank God he is dead. Just wanted to announce this as now I wont be updating this or any other journals for a bit due to this event.

jajajajajjaja, talk about karma, how'd he die?

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
UPDATE TIME:
NO PICS SORRY :(

Ok so the light, may take 1 month more to get.
Plants are paid for.
Fish are paid for.
substrate paid for.
Co2 paid for but I have to get 1 more diffuser, and more tubing...
And that's it... so:

Light
& tubing
Plants.

Total of: 3 more months, MAX.

Until then im watching the fluval grow. Apparently NO ONE owns AR mini on here, :(
me poor man, I will pay money to you for aquarium plant.
lol

Reactions: Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
Didn't want to hijack lovebugs thread

Most domestic discus have adapted to our water parameters, and do fine with our PH. Problem with discuss in a planted tank is they need really high quality water. Barr had/has a really nice planted tank with discus, pretty sure anyway, thought I saw him post it here somewhere. We all know he does frequent large WCs on some of his tanks though, and gets his elbows wet, plus he's Tom Barr I mean common...
An awesome video on discus from the owner of the website simplydiscus.com. It's hosted through kingofdiy YouTube.

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
I think @Dennis Singh might be able to shed some light on shop lights. Saw him posting about it somewheres around here. I don't know what they'd cost but might be well under the $150 you're looking to spend on a fancy rig