"Balance" 65 Gallon Dutch Aquascape, ((( Plants Are In!!! )))

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Ordered HTH pool filter sand, anyone tried that specific brand? Anyway should be here next week I presume or something. Also anyone know the answer to the above comment, would love to hear back on both of these things.

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada

I'm pretty sure that light will give plenty of par with all 6400k bulbs lol. You'll probably end up having to mess around with different bulb combinations to reduce par if the fixture only has the option of all bulbs on or all bulbs off.

If I can make a suggestion, look around for a fixture that has multiple banks. Something like, one bank would have four inside bulbs on one switch and second bank would have two outside bulbs on another switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: DutchMuch

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
ah ok, thanks @slipfinger for your input it reassures me a bunch! Will look into what you said, and figure some ways around to much par. This is where a par meter would be fantastic but just can afford it $$$

On the side note, ordered my Co2 setup from GLA this afternoon, easy transaction, etc etc etc, so ill hook it up to the other tank until the big tank is all setup (the fluval, it has a double bubble counter so it can hook up to two tanks) and also found a place to fill it up with Co2, local fire protection place does it. Anyone know what a Hydro check is? she said you need one every five years for an additional 16$ (don't mind), I think she said hydro, called there so it was kind of static...
Its official, I have 18.97$ on my debit card guys....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dale Hazey

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
ok so as of right now I have a 17watt 24" T8 on the tank, and the tank is 25" tall to the bottom of the tank (glass). How much PAR does anyone think its giving off then at that height? im going to try rotala butterfly really quick as well.
Just tried Rotala Butterfly, said this;
PAR @ Depth: NaN
LUX @ Depth: NaN
Lumens/Watt: 93
Lumens: 1581
LSI: NaN
Watts/Liter: NaN
Watts/Gal: NaN
Sq m: NaN
Tank liters: NaN
Tank US gallons: NaN

so do I have 0 par?
Wait wait, just tried again;
PAR @ Depth: 1
LUX @ Depth: 1372
Lumens/Watt: 93
Lumens: 1581
LSI: 2.25
Watts/Liter: 0.06
Watts/Gal: 0.22
Sq m: 0.4536
Tank liters: 288.00
Tank US gallons: 76.08

so I have 1 par... idk...
Is this right?

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Everyone please Thank Aquatic Arts for becoming an official sponsor, they are providing the fish for the tank. :)
Videos of this aquascape once its started will be posted on Youtube.

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Until the new light comes im not going to order anything else or do anything, basically... It'll be awhile until it comes though, so for now ill just grow out the PW carpet when the sand is in there (even with low par, I have an extra LED I can put up there) and some of the "medium to high" tech plants. I don't think it'll be a problem.

toads74

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2013
Anyone know what a Hydro check is? she said you need one every five years for an additional 16$ (don't mind), I think she said hydro, called there so it was kind of static...

It is a saftey test. They fill the cylinder with water under pressure to its max rating. This ensures that it doesn't burst when you have it full of gas, due to corrosion or cracks. It is much safer to use water for the test as much less energy is released it the cylinder bursts.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
The Plant List:
Foreground;
Pearlweed
AR mini
S. Repens
Dwarf Baby Tears
Pogostemon Helferi

Midground:
Crypt. wendtii Tropica
Rotala sp. Green
rotala sp. Colorata
Ludwigia Pantanal

BackGround:
Pogostemon Erectus
Rotala Wallichii
Eleocharis "Montevidensis" (this will be the height of the tank, and places in the center outer middle of the tank.
Rotala Macandra

Any suggestions? I feel like im missing some holes.. but at the same time I feel like im ok as is?...

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
Those crypt wendtii tropicas can turn into some big plants, and spread around. I like the hammered leaves and the bronze color but they are a pain in my opinion. I have them in my tank and they have 6-7 inch leaves and so many leaves they are bushes. With co2 and high light, they will take real estate from the rest of your plants, which sounds like a long list. Holes!?!? Sounds like you have enough plants for a jungle!

Can't wait to see you setup this tank DutchMuch...

Reactions: DutchMuch

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
@Dale Hazey thanks for the reply,
I chose the crypt tropicas because I heard (from many people) with higher light, the "flatter" they will grow, and in lower light the longer the leaves get to reach closer to the light. I guess your right, try with what I have, and go from there. I have about another month until I get the light fixture, then about half a month after that to get the plants. Fish are when the plants arrive to.
Idk I guess its a swing & miss kind of deal right now

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Those crypt wendtii tropicas can turn into some big plants, and spread around.

I can vouch for this as well. I put one small plant in my main tank and it turned into a monster (picture in my journal). When I finally removed and sold it, it was close to 10" across and taking up a lot of real estate in the tank.

The geek in me did a quick calculation and that one single plant was taking up ~9% of my tanks total foot print.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Dang sounds like its a pretty mean plant. How fast does it grow in a week @slipfinger if you know? I don't mind trimming and all that, I prefer it. But if its "invasive" I of course don't want that. May have to just stick it in the emersed setup.

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Dang sounds like its a pretty mean plant. How fast does it grow in a week @slipfinger if you know? I don't mind trimming and all that, I prefer it. But if its "invasive" I of course don't want that. May have to just stick it in the emersed setup.

It was in the tank probably 2 months or a little less. It grew flat and stayed really close to the substrate in my tank, probably due to the high light.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Got a free buceplant package today.
2646jc2.jpg

2dmffr8.jpg

4gn1hy.jpg

Crypt wendtii brown, Mioya, and tropica.

This the package would have liked to of received from buceplant the first time, plants that are Alive, not dead, and are properly boxed.
Glad I got this package though from them, they asked me to change my rating, I still wouldn't (wouldnt be present tense), and my reason for this is;
Why not ship it Right the first time rather than having to go through all the trouble to send me free stuff in the end and lose money? I don't get it, maybe someone else does but I must be blind!

anyway for now ill put some of these in the Fluval, and the emersed setup.

Oh btw @slipfinger @Phishless I guess you were right, about the tropica because it has side shoots coming out of the container its in.