This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

"Balance" 65 Gallon Dutch Aquascape, ((( Plants Are In!!! )))

Discussion in 'Journals' started by DutchMuch, Jul 2, 2017.

1. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    10:24 AM
    How much have you been dosing?

2. Mike k

Mike k Member

Local Time:
    9:24 AM
    If it is caught or picked up at intake it never makes it too the body of the filter. Very easy to keep clean

It's ugly. It will keep shrimp and fry out of the filter also It's still ugly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DutchMuch likes this.
  3. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:24 PM
    I haven't been dosing,
    I just did once, six pumps as instructed and that was around a week 1/2 ago.

Alright, ill make one. I have some spare pond sponge stuff in the greenhouse :)

Mike k likes this.
  4. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    For your consideration, Poret foam is an excellent media to use in a canister.
    It will surpass any other media in surface area and such, but it ain't cheap either.
    Does not degrade like other foams over time either.
    All of my future tanks will have a corner filter of this material for sure.

You have a canister filter.
    Have you considered building a reactor for CO2???
    No unsightly bubbles with complete diffusion.
    Plus you can run a reactor @ 3 PSI! Just enough to break through a check valve!
    It would be much less wasted gas.

Mike k likes this.
  5. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:24 AM
    Lol had to try! :)

Had to look up the Pseudomugil Gertrudae, those look awesome!

6. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    @toads74 been wanting them ever since I wanted a dutch tank :eek: :D

Test Results @slipfinger @Mike k @Phishless

Ammonia, 0ppm
    [​IMG]
    Nitrite, well I didn't do the test, but im pretty sure it would be 0ppm if everything else was spot on perfect... :/

Nitrate was around (hard to see in the pic because of the lighting) 7ppm if I had to be a good guess.
    [​IMG]

Mike k likes this.
  7. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    if it aint cheap, I aint gettin' it God darnet!
    nah jk, ill look into it and see whats up. I got small income from mowing yards and stuff so I am not on a budget since im an amazing saver, but I have to watch it.
    NO REACTOR FOR CO2 AND I DONT WANT ONE, I never have seen the point of a reactor. I love seeing the bubbles, makes it mystical (because im so into that), and it tells me that the Co2 is actually working and putting bubbles out. And where its going, and where the flow is going to in my tank, etc. Not to worried about the wasted gas. I pay like 6$ every 2 months to get it filled. I can live with that price LOL

8. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    ALSO
    the pogostemon 'stellatus' 'dassen' is actually growing really good. I have about 6 stems I can guarantee life to, nice coloration as well! a yellow, purple!

Scratch the 6 stems, just looked I have about 10 or 12 I can guarantee life to.

#188 DutchMuch, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Mike k likes this.
  9. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Green water? Light is far to high for your co2 and nutrient levels. The chances are this was not caused from a dirty filter.

10. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    @Jason shit if I raise it more it will touch the ceiling!

11. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Does the fixture have two separate channels/ two plugs? If so only use one or does it run with a bulb or two bulbs removed? Also try reducing the photo period.

How many bulbs are in the fixture?

12. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    hey Jason, ive posted this info in here before, quite often.
    6 bulbs only run 2 right now a foot away from the waters surface
    the photoperiod is as little as it can get and that is 6 hours. Its been like this.
    Didn't mean the filter was the cause, but it didn't help.
    Co2 is like 15bps to 20bps, also said this, this is basically as high as im going to put it.

13. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    [​IMG]
    There FAV. spot is behind the heater.. sitting on the suction cups. You will ALWAYS find them sitting there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *sigh*
    This is one of my last painted fire reds...
    And its not even a "good" one.
    But im now calling this specific shrimp "mama" because I hope she gets pregers for me and makes some babies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Always can find the ASMC here...
    [​IMG]
    NEW GROWTH
    [​IMG]
    NEW GROWTH
    [​IMG]
    NEW GROWTH
    [​IMG]
    Added this cool cheap thermamometer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, would like to say

I love hydor, and the products, but their sticky cup situation is horrible.
    imo.
    None of these sticky cups can you get to go straight. impossible.

14. slipfinger

Local Time:
    That is a lot of Co2, yet you are seeing no ill effect on your live stock? Maybe I'm missing something. How are you pushing that much Co2 through your glass diffuser? Something is not right here.

You say you are a Co2 noob. Once you took the leap and decided to go high light, you have to realise that Co2 becomes one of the main factors that keeps the tank in balance. You need to understand how your system works. Not knowing what the gauges on your reg mean or how to shut off a needle valve, just lowers your chances of success. You need to understand the simple things before moving on to the technical side of Co2 injection.

You have green water, you say you added very little ferts, you've just raised your light, all steps in the right direction. It's time you look at your Co2 setup. A 65 gal tank is pushing or past the limits of a in tank diffuser. Someone already mentioned a reactor, you need to listen to this advice if you want be successful. If you want to fail, then continue to say things like, "no reactor for Co2 I don't want one, I like the look of all the bubbles". This is why you have green water. Dutch, all the hard work and experimenting has been done for you. All you need to do to be success is read it and follow it. There are many people here including myself that are willing to help. You have to be willing to accept the help and actually listen to what they say.

This all may sound negative, not meant to be. As mentioned I'm willing to answer question and help out as much as I can.

#194 slipfinger, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Greggz, Dale Hazey and DutchMuch like this.
  15. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Nope no ill effect.
    And all I know is that, nothing is wrong with the system its working fine and everything is right with it. No im not kidding when I say 15bps to 20bps. Just to clarify.
    Yea, I know basics, I have done a year of research on all of this. Posts as proof from 2016 early year on tpt, etc.
    I can say I know the basics :) and how to shut off a needle valve... that's kind of important in some cases, but I rarely fiddle with it (them in this case).
    NOPE not negative, your very informative, and your posts and other peoples posts help me learn and gain knowledge on these specific things. Im not good with remembering names, I have an awful memory for my age. So I have to remember things by the image kind of like a photographic memory, so when someone says needle valve (for ex.) It takes me a bit if not a long time to actually remember what that is, confusing.
    But thank you, and others for the advice.
    @Phishless sorry if I kind of shoved you out of the way with my whole reactor thing LOL, didn't mean for it to be like that bud, when I was doing my reactor research back on TPT I learned many things about it, and the system of it, how to make one, etc. I don't like that you cant (or its difficult) tell if its working or not. I like seeing the bubbles in the tank for previous explained reasons, because it shows flow, where things are going, etc.

Right now @slipfinger my mind is geared on plant mass. I have a light right now, a high HO T5 light, (2 lights are on right now, with extremely good reflectors so its like 4 lights are on almost) basically just growing algae on the substrate. The plants that are in their now are new, have very little roots, are Just getting new growth, and are tiny. Their babies, They are to small to suck in all that extra nutrients, take up all that extra space the light is giving out. idk if im making sense but in my head its simple to me... lol.
    If my 2 bulbs right now, is shining across the whole tank, still giving high par at substrate level, the plants cant keep up with the light and the (very little) nutrients in the tank right now. This isn't a problem for the plants, but its just not a pretty sight, green water. So my hypothesis for this green water issue, is add more plants, the more plants there are, the less nutrients there is for algae growth, and less light there is for algae to absorb or take in. Maybe that makes better sense... I mean does this sound right?
    Co2 as far as right now, im experimenting with. I can read something all day but I wont "know for sure" until I do it myself. Im a hands on learner. So im adjusting co2 weekly or every 2 weeks now, to see just how many BPS works best for the Current situation, which wont last long because plants are coming in very soon.

Long post.
    Worth it.
    Nate

Mike k and Greggz like this.
  16. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Drastically lowered Co2, 8bps now (I assume its 8, looks like it) Going to see how that works. So we will find out!

17. slipfinger

Local Time:
    What exactly does 8bps mean?

#197 slipfinger, Sep 5, 2017
  18. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    @slipfinger
    u playing with me?
    8 bubbles per second my amigo.

19. slipfinger

Local Time:
    I know what bps means. No I am not playing....

Simple saying you are adding 8bps means nothing. BPS is a piss poor way of measuring Co2. Once you actually know your concentration of Co2 then you can start to use bps for your own reference. So my question is not about the bps per say. Do you know the concentration of Co2 in your tank? If you wanted to find out, how would you go about figuring it out? These are questions you need to answer, once you know this then you can say you understand your system. Even a drop checker can give you a better idea of Co2 concentration then talking about bps.

Greggz likes this.
  20. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    yea but you asked me...
    that makes no sense.

I didn't say I understand the system. I said I get the basics.
    You are shoving words in my mouth, and I don't know if you mean to do that or not.
    I never said I was an expert at this, I said im new, When it comes to physically handling Co2 im a noob.
    Im not to worried about the "concentration of Co2 in the tank" im not that advanced. And I most likely wont be for a long while. I read my plants, always have, works fine, so im going to keep doing that. I test things with simple hypothesis. I am not a crazy scientist like @Pikez, pikez is like the GOD scientist of all forums. Seriously the guy is unbelievably smart. I do not need to answer those questions either, although I will look into it.

Im not looking to be a Co2 expert, or expert at planted tanks in a day, this is my first 2 years or so actually IN the hobby, I will say I have advanced really quickly, and with my schedule have made time well worth using.

Maybe im wrong, but to me that's false.
    8bps (for ex.) to me means that in my drop checker, there is 8 bubbles PER second, popping into that tube and going into my tank, 8 bubbles per second are being diffused into my tank.
    To me that means something, can you go deeper, yes you can obviously go deeper into that subject of measurement, but that's my standard measurement I don't need the "I have 0.999118227 of a trillionth Co2 bubble in my tank per millisecond" im just not that 'into' the whole co2 thing yet.

And lets try to keep this conversation an educational friendly debate and learning session shall we please.

#200 DutchMuch, Sep 5, 2017