This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Bacteria Slime inside filter hoses prevention

Discussion in 'Aquatic Microbiology' started by alexus2005, Nov 25, 2014.

1. alexus2005

alexus2005 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:43 AM
    Hi guys,

I have recently set up my planted tank and it's being a month or so, but the last 2 weeks I am having this very strange issue that I haven't found any answers for online so far.

I have a canister filter and inside the hoses(which are dark green silicone hoses) cloudy slime builds up and after 3-4 days starts to shoot out of the spray-bar. It looks like a snawfall in my tank when this happens.

Shrimps love it, fish doesn't mind, but it's unsightly...

I cleaned the hoses with bleach 2 times by now, but it starts again 3-4 days later.

So question is, is this normal? Should I just wait it out? Any way to prevent this? Or at least prevent the flaking part - I understand that bacteria will always grow there, but in these amounts?

Cheers,
    Alex

2. rjordan393

rjordan393 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    In order to help us diagnose the problem, give us all info about the tank.
    Size, substrate, model of canister, filter, media if used and other equipment?
    Do you have driftwood? What fertilizers do you use and how much and how often?
    Are there other additives that you add? Do you know what is in your source water?
    In most case's, you can go online to your local water department for this information.
    What type of food and how often do you feed?

I am going to make a few guess's based on what you gave.
    If the shrimps are eating it, then the source must be organic. It may be coming from the food or something is leaching from driftwood if you use it. The slime that accumulates in the hose's is always a rusty color that is caused by iron bacteria that feed on iron supplements to the best of my knowledge. The bacteria leave a sludge as a result. In your case, the sludge is white; so I do not know if something else is in the water to change the color. If you have not dose any iron, then check your source water.

#2 rjordan393, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  3. alexus2005

alexus2005 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you for your reply, here is more info:

Size, substrate, model of canister, filter, media if used and other equipment?
    - 30 gallons
    - topsoil capped with black quartz sand
    - SunSun 302
    - Filter Floss => Seachem Matrix => ChemiPure => More Filter floss.
    - Heater, CO2 diffuser, spray bar, intake, drop checker.
    - Lights: 1 Evo Green Element

Do you have driftwood?
    Yes - small one, but yes.

What fertilizers do you use and how much and how often?
    Excel - daily, 4 ml.
    CO2 - no idea how much but drop checker is greenish-yellow and plants are growing like weeds.

Are there other additives that you add?
    No

Do you know what is in your source water?
    I know it's quite soft. I live in Vancouver BC Canada.

What type of food and how often do you feed?
    Nutrafin freeze dried bloodworms, nutrafin tropical flakes, nutrafin catfish pellets. Alternating. Feeding 2 - 3 pellets or equivalent daily.

Livestock
    20 Neon Tetra
    5 Amano Shrims
    2 Cherry red shrimps (haven't seen them in awhile now...)
    2 Guppy fri
    3 Otos
    3 Panda Cory

Plants
    Ricca
    Dwarf Amazon Sword
    Dwarf Hair Grass

water Changes
    Weekly 30-40%

P.S. This morning the snow started again... and when I inspected the hoses the slime is flaking inside them and shooting out of the spray bar.

4. alexus2005

alexus2005 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Picture of the tank:

[​IMG]

5. rjordan393

Local Time:
    I think the problem appears to be on how you applied the soil and the sand. Also if you did not mineralized it properly, then you will have more organics in the water which I believe is causing the slime. New fish keepers to the hobby usually have problems with soil if it is not treated as recommended. The mineralization process eliminates most of the organics. I just use Eco-Complete as a substrate and do not have experience with soil.
    When other's read this thread and they have soil in their tanks, I hope they will offer an opinion.
    In the mean time, I want you to go to: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/index.php and go to the library section to the topic "How to mineralize soil". That may help.

#5 rjordan393, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  6. alexus2005

alexus2005 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for your advise. Great read :) I haven't mineralized soil unfortunately when I started the tank, but about a month after I started, I stripped out the top layer and recapped with this sand. Previous cap was insufficient and it all leaked into the water column.

It has actually happened again a few days back, but this time I decided to wait it out, and seems like the hoses are slimy but it's not flaking anymore. Plants are growing, but now I have green hair algae :/

I guess tank is too new and it need some time to settle down.

Side question: do my posts have to be approved by the moderators all the time or there is some minimum number of posts you have to have to be able to respond immediately?

7. rjordan393

Local Time:
    Some people have complained that this site has problems and needs to be updated. So I do not know what the owner of the site is doing about it. I believe there is a post about it at the top of the page.

Update: The site is now updated.

#7 rjordan393, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  8. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You're one post away.

9. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:43 AM
    You're getting an organic build up in the tubes which is normal. Once it gets thick enough it will either peel off on its own or impede water flow.

Just use a spring type tube brush for the hoses. I shrink wrapped (bonded) two Do!Aqua ones together so I had enough length to clean the tubes from one end.