This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Backyard Plants/weeds?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by longebane, Sep 2, 2019.

1. longebane

longebane New Member

Local Time:
    6:05 AM
    I started collecting a bunch of backyard plants and weeds and putting them in a jar with inert sand and liquid ferts. A couple started sprouting water roots! It makes me wonder how viable they would be in a stocked tank. I imagine some of them would be poisonous.

So far I've got wandering jew (which I believe works like pothos and just needs their leaves above water) , common clovers (which will very likely just die as they seem to be legumes instead of stem like their marselia brethren), spurge (which seems to have carcinogens in its sap?), and some other random weeds.

MVIMG_20190901_124647.jpg

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:05 AM
    Most plants tried in this manner fail.
    A few will hang in for a bit before they expire.

Fouling you water with melting plant matter is one's own choice?

So much is available online and from other forum members I can say the backyard path could be rough unless you have ponds and such nearby.

Even when collecting from ponds it can be a crap shoot.

3. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    9:05 AM
    You can start a terrarium with backyard weed and will look nice if you scape them in groups with hardscape. Only shade tolerant weed will thrive in a terrarium if artificial light is used. Except for some mosses, you have no hope to convert terrestrial weed into aquatic weed.

In reality, common aquatic plants are weed anyway, literally and in appearance. Aquatic plants are considered nuisance weed if they clog up water way and entangle anglers fishing lure. The leaf shape and form of most aquatic plants resemble weed in our backyard we want to get rid of, and a planted aquarium is essentially a glorified weed garden.