This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Background idea

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Ian H, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

I'm heading into the final phase of my planned 350 litre tank set-up. Substrate...........Sorted.

Now background features. Has anyone ever used or considered using coarse, black open cell foam for the internal backdrop? The type used in large pond filters.

It strikes me as to potentially increasing the nitrifying bacteria load. Would make an easily adaptable plant holder. Can be shaped easily and highlighted with paints if needed.

Any thoughts guys?

Ian

2. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Re: Background idea

You could even use it as a filter, like a Mattenfilter. Should work fine, up to
    but not including the time it gets hit by bad case of algae. You were planning
    to clamp this on the back, not silicone it in place, right?

Bill

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Those scrubber pads they use for floor scrubber, course plastic with a fair amount og space in between would work well, you can add Pellia, Moss, Java fern etc to them and they are easy to remove and adjust.

They work well in small sizes also for individual stone like shapes.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

I was considering using suction pads Bill. It should add to the biological filtration. Potentially algae could wreck it of course.

Ian

5. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

None continuous is a good idea Tom. If I colour the outside of the glass black, it should give the illusion of texture without impacting on the internal space.

Ian