This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Background Help

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by UDGags, Feb 18, 2016.

1. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:25 AM
    Anyone have a link to an article or video that shows how to setup a white background with proper lightning to create the various effects you see at the high end aquascaping contests? I really want something with lots of pictures and details.

2. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
  3. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, I had read the ASW post already but I'm not a huge fan of those except for the last set.

With your setup how much space is between the acrylic and the LED? This is what I was looking to get pictures of....that actual setup. My worry is that my current tank position there is only ~12inches behind it and it's a 6ft long tank. I'm worried the light won't diffuse evenly into the acrylic over that entire space and the only way to get it to would be to add more light and make it too bright.

4. Jason King

Local Time:
    That tank was only 60cm and the 50cm led was hanging from the kessil brackets almost touching the back of the tank but facing down and not towards to back, I'm using the same method now on my 120cm but need a longer light fitting to give me the same effect as the 60cm.

A lot of the effect comes from the camera settings, with that photo the room was pitch black with only the tank lighting on

The tank with lights on but back light off

[​IMG]

The tank with back light on

[​IMG]

And the new tank with the same light shows I need a longer light to get the same effect

[​IMG]

I'll get a updated photo of this tank now I have a ati setup and when I get around to getting a longer light.

I'm not a pro photographer with all the fancy camera lighting that pros like Stu worrall has, so I'm sure that with camera flashes etc it's possible to get even better results.

The first photo in the second post was taken with my canon 70d the other photos are taken with my Samsung phone and or my sony rx100 compact.

I'm also interested to hear others feedback and tips on Aquarium photography.

5. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Do they have backing you can put on the back or is this mainly achieved by backlighting?

6. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    What are you using as the white background and is the back light on the top pointing down or the bottom pointing up?Some pics of the set up from behind the tank may help to see what you have going on there. ( on the smaller tank)

Thanks.

7. Jason King

Local Time:
    That tank no longer exists and I'm not moving the big one :) I will try and get some shots from above if possible, some shots are available on my journal thread.

A quicker way is to use frosted window film that's removable, Oliver Knott shows an example at the green machine.

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/oliver-knott-at-tgm/

8. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    In his first post he said he uses opal acrylic

Thanks Jason for the pictures and information. It tells me what I wanted to know. I'll probably head to get the acrylic this afternoon.

#8 UDGags, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  9. Jason King

Local Time:
    The frosted window film is much cheaper but can bubble if not done correctly

I had some on for a few months and it looked great but started peeling after that and started to look messy, it may of been my fault or heat from the lights? Anyway I change to the acrylic and it lasted until I took the tank down.

10. Jason King

Local Time:
    This is a quick photo to try and show how I have it setup..

It's a bar with a led strip attached facing down and not directly at the acrylic

ygOiUMv.jpg

The bar is just resting on my overflows

You can see the tank then acrylic then the led bar..

2 people like this.
  11. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Alright i see thanks for sharing i may try this on my shrimp tank.

12. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Jason How did you attached it? I was thinking of just using duct tape since it can't be seen anyways...

I finally found a piece large enough in the drops at a metal distributor. 72" long in white is not a common thing places stock. I got a great deal though...96" x 18" for $8

2 people like this.
  13. Jason King

Local Time:
    That really cheap mine cost me £30 UK lol nice find!

I attached it with small amount of silicone in each corner and middles so its not noticeable when the lights on.

As mine is drilled to match my overflows and returns I also put a small seal of silcone around the holes to prevent a leak.

IVXF5dn.jpg

This is irrelevant if your using a overflow box?

14. Jason King

Local Time:
    I should also mention if you are good with fine line silicone place a small strip all the way along the top edge to prevent any excess water running in between the tank and acrylic :) or tape if its hidden I.e hood or in wall etc

15. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, My tank is rimmed so I have a ledge on top and bottom to work with. My only worry with the tape is it getting wet over time and possibly creating a slight shadow on the top where it masks the acrylic.

16. Planterson

Planterson Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Do you happen to know the % light transmission of that acrylic sheet you used? I'm looking at some in the ~50% neighborhood but am concerned that might be too translucent. I know Opal30 has 70% transmission vs Opal50, others get as low as 20%. Just trying to decide which to get. My background already has the stick-on frosting, but this seems much cleaner. Also, I have some wires in the back that show through, and a heavier acrylic sheet (that still transmits light) seems like a much more elegant option to hide some of that.

#16 Planterson, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2016
  17. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This is the sticker on the sheet I bought...looks like 32% from the website.

I'll post some pictures once I'm done so people can see what that percent looks like at least.

20160227_183438_zpswmvz50ft.jpg

18. Planterson

Planterson Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Ah, that would be great. Funny enough, I'm looking at that exact same kind in the WT031, which is 55%. Will be interesting.

19. Jason King

Local Time:
    Mine is

Frosted Opal Acrylic

- Thickness: 5.0mm

- Size: 1200mm x 450mm

- Colour: Opal Frosted (70%)

I can't see any background pipes etc

20. Planterson

Planterson Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Ah... so 70% light transmission? That's promising then, if it's still that opaque. Of course, 5mm is pretty darn thick... I'm looking at sheets in 1/8" etc. which is close to half that. Thanks for all the info! Going to start browsing