Azoo plant bed

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
So, this is what I think is going on. My substrate is a mix of 65% fluorite, 30% Azoo plant bed and 5% onyx sand. The KH from the tap is around 5dKH and after a week it is around 1dKH in the tank. Should I increase the number of water changes (at the very least stop waiting more then a week) and remove less water to reduce the fluctuating KH when I change the water? Basically, it changes from 1dKH to 3dKH after a 50% water change.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Tug,

I would change LESS water more frequently until the root cause is id'd...unless it is the substrate mix as you suggest. Not suggesting it isn't just don't know myself...

How are the FISH reacting? Stress, flight response, hiding, discoloration, darting about????

Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Hi Garry,
Did you get all the Petite Nana you needed? I saw today on TPT there were some for sale.

The angel's colors are good and bright. They hang out normally. They breath a little harder maybe, but no one is running to the surface for a breath of fresh air. A little darting around at first? Looks as if water changes would be the answer. Better for the plants too.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
What has got me thinking about this is I am waiting on a pair of red lizard whiptails raised in hard water. I'll check the KH of the water they come in and see how off it is from mine.

KH? "Slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch...," :eek:

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
That sounds ok.....Do you have a non CO2 tank? Could it be that your plants are using the KH as a carbonate source?

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
More likely to be the MTS and RCS if that were the case. DIY CO2, but it keeps two drop checkers green in a 20T. I'm thinking the Azoo substrait, even though I didn't use a lot, is dropping the KH.

Garry- what would darting about tell you? It's not anything that I see, but I would like to know if I do see it in the future what that would be telling you.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Or, more likely the little Otocinclus isn't just hiding and I should have checked for an ammonia/nitrite spike instead of worrying about KH and substrate.

Just when I think I understand pH, KH and GH I find I have it wrong, again. What I think I know, KH stability is more important then pH stability (probably wrongish) while GH and TDS effect the osmoregulatory system. Should GH remain stable or is it more about just having enough? For example, the fish that we bring home - is it the GH that effects how they acclimate to their new surroundings.

Dutchy/Gerry, anybody that can direct me to a more practical application of how these relationships effect caring for a planted tank of fish, I just need some basic guidelines and direction.