This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Avoiding Mold in the DSM

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Couesfanatic, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Couesfanatic

Couesfanatic Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:50 PM
    I have some UG I bought that I am trying to do a dry start with. I've tried a few plants before and had mold issues. For those of you who have been successful with the DSM in the past, Do you keep cling wrap on the top of your tanks? Do you leave a corner open or some holes? If I leave the cling wrap on the whole tank gets misted, very humid and I think I'm going have mold problems. I've been keeping the substrate (AS1) moist. It seems to me that you want to have a moist substrate with the water level below the surface. If the whole tank is wet, won't I have mold issues. I mean, we are just growing these plants like regular house plants, so why would keeping the humidity high be so important. It seems to me that high humidity isn't really needed. Or is the humidity just needed for transitioning plants from immersed to emersed? Any opinions here?

2. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Adding Excel to the 'mist spray' may help. Also I have read a lot about gardener's mixing Pure Tea Tree Oil with their misters for spraying their cuttings'seedlings as it is anti-bacterial and also kills off mould.

Most importantly make sure the water level is lower than the surface of the substrate. No need to see water. As long as the water is under the substrate and the 'environment' enclosed then the water will evaporate and cause humidity within the environment.

AC

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    The top of the tank should never be sealed.
    Loose lids work good, if the humidity is high, that's good, but not too high, then you get mold.

So RH in the 70-90% is fine, but not 90% or higher.
    A mister/misting also helps and can wash off mold spores etc.
    This needs done a 2x a day type of thing consistently though.

This is the same deal with growing crypts emergently.
    Allow them to dry out a little bit more than a sealed top will provide.