This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Automation?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gerryd, May 18, 2011.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:03 AM
    Hi all,

I went away for 4 days recently and asked a neighbor to help care for the cats. When I returned they mentioned that

'I saw the tank lights were off so I turned them on for you'

this of course meant they were ON for 24/7 since the time they did it and they told me about it :)

Of course this did NOT help with my BBA issue lol

So, I remember telling them before I left that the tank was fully automated and they did not have to do anything with the tank.

I should have been more explicit about the lights and timers..

Will know for next time. They meant well and that is the bigger lesson..

Later!

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Hire better help and pay them well.

College kids are good. They are poor and worried enough to get an easy job that pays well.

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Person selected is a local nursing student at FAU and was paid very well.....

I will try one of the other local apts, as they are filled with college kids...

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    College kids and $$.............you can ask around and see, most are fairly responsible if $$ is involved, get the nerdy ones.........or the ones desperate for $$.

CL's ad might work..........or the Campus bullitins.

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gerryd, sorry to hear about your lighting issue.

I can relate, I was gone for a week recently and my fiance' called me saying the fish were at the top. So I asked her to turn on the airstone and turn down the CO2 slightly. When I got back the CO2 was WAY down, barely a bubble every 2 seconds. Needless to say many plants stunted, some withered away. I made the mistake of mentioning it was down way too far before giving her a hug and saying it was nice to see her, that was a big no no. woops...

So plants I was planning on using in a rescape need some recovery time before beating up on them. Luckily my light was low or else it would have been a disaster. I need to increase it, i reduced it, but glosso is growing upwards, of course that could be CO2 too right?