This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Automatic dosing and semi/auto water changes

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by bdale76, May 28, 2013.

1. bdale76

bdale76 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:17 PM
    I have a 60g cube on which I would like to set up an automatic water change system and would like a double or triple check on the design to avoid problems. The tank is drilled with two bulkheads behind an overflow. One bulkhead is 3/4" and the other is 1". Currently using them as overflow to a sump and as a return line into the tank. My plan would be to rerun the return line over the back of the tank, freeing up the 3/4" bulkhead to be used as an overflow/drain to outside through a p trap and external insect screen. I would have a remote reservoir that would be plumbed to the tank. Running a small pump, I would pump 6-8 gallons a day, over 15-20 minutes. The excess volume in the tank should go over the tank overflow and into the drain overflow which would be positioned maybe an inch below the tank overflow. I would also have a couple of optical switches in the overflow that would turn the water change pump off if the water level got too high. I really like redundancy so may 2 switches and relays to lower the risk of single point of failure.
    Since I would be batch filling the remote reservoir, it would be easy to dose dechlorinator and ferts, cold water would come up to room temp, and no chance of greater than 40-50 gallons of water leaking on floors, barring a tank leak.
    Main questions.
    1. Would it be better to replumb both bulkheads for water change overflow? I am currently planning on changing the circulation to closed loop for noise and better flow anyway. There is adequate room for a circulation pump intake line and both overflows. Is that just overkill on the redundancy. I have a screen on the tank side of the overflow and would consider an additional screen on the water change drain.
    2. Any other concerns for safety or convenience?