Auto feeding?

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
Hi

Does anybody use an auto feeder? I have just got the juwel auto feeder, i am wondering what the best food is to use, my tank has a mixture of top middle and bottom feeders.

I have tried flake, but this seems to be irregular. The tablets are too big. and the micro pellet that my LFS suggested starts to smell.

Just wondering what you peeps use? :D

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Moisture Control

Hi,

I have tried a couple of feeders and none has been satisfactory. Aside from uneven dispersal, you hit on another problem, food fouling, I think the location of the hoppers tends to be necessarily warm and humid and the food is food for all kinds of creatures. :)

The best of the lower cost feeders I have seen is Eheim 3581 “Feed-Air” Digital Automatic Feeder seems to have good moisture control.

I am not familiar with the Juwel Feeder; some have a way to connect an airline to help control humidity. :)

Biollante

Last edited by a moderator:

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I've had feeder troubles too. I find the drum sort don't tend to handle flake all that well; I've had them jam up on me. For some crushed flake isn't a necessity, but I have a strong preference for it with the small-mouthed fish that I keep.

Glad to see you're back up and posting, Biollante.

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
Ok an update!

After trying nearly every type of food possible, i have found that the crisp type works best for me. :)

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
aquasapo;51713 said:
Hi!. I have the eheim auto feeder with the micro pellet food inside. Its work fine for me.

I had so much trouble with over feeding, that i now feed once a day, frozen blister packs. And keep the auto feeder if i go away for a few days. :p

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
It's hard not to over feed. Especially with certain fish. OTOH, if you do EI it's less of an issue since you get to flush it out at the end of the week and moreso if you do a very high % instead of the usual 50%. Your tolerence to this may vary of course and those with 125+ gallon tanks may not realistically be able to dump and replace 100+ gallons in a reasonable timeframe. Blister packs do make it much simpler as long as the food sinks or you remember to shut off the pump or otherwise plan ahead to avoid feeding the surface skimmer. I usually take out the skimmer prefilter periodically and swish it around in the tank a little to dislodge any uneaten food back into the tank. As long as your fish look decently rounded you're probably doing ok. My cories are beachballs with fins so I'm definitely on the high side of the feeding spectrum. :)

-
S