AUTO-DOSING, STREAMING WATER CHANGE, AND TESTING

Paul G

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2011
Independence MO
I have been updating my drawings, etc. For the record, this is the current design of the CO2 system. Putting the in-line diffusors ahead of the temp control stages enhances bubble dwell time. Heater modules are LifeGard AF-92.

CO2BACKUP prevents runaway pH increases when the CO2PRIMARY depletes, and the Apex pH data-log reports this condition to the hour. The elapsed time counter gives up to 999 hours 59 minutes 'ON', so it is possible to calculate the yield of the CO2PRIMARY cylinder. No two 20 lb cylinders have identical yields, but I get well over a month out of a cylinder under current pH programming. I have not recently done a more exact re-calculation. The next time I change out the CO2PRIMARY cylinder I will start making notes again.

The end-of-line (EOL) solenoid is a safety, in event of either delivery solenoid sticking open, and also provides a single manual master 'OFF' on the Apex dashboard.

idsUNTbl.jpg
xFXD22Gl.jpg

Paul G

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2011
Independence MO
Sorry I haven't checked in recently. Thanks for the question!

Hanna Instruments. This model is HI190M, the 120VAC version. With a 5" square footprint it works well under the AquaMaxx vats. This is the shortest - and least expensive - magnetic stirrer I could find. You can purchase it on-line direct from Hanna Instruments.

Paul G

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2011
Independence MO
Rn7ZWV6h.jpg

s96I3CRl.jpg

March 15-16 I did a major maintenance "turnaround" on this tank, including moving all the swordplants and removing the hardscape, tilling the substrate, and laying on intensive mechanical filtration sweeping the water for ten days. This was a significant disturbance to the ecosystem but all the plants and fish survived the attendant shocks. Numerous fertilizer tabs were set around the swords which fill the back half of the tank end to end. API Root Tabs (NPK = 1:1:3 macro/Fe) and SeaChem Flourish Tabs (micros/Fe/Ca/S) are both used.

Today's numbers

pH: 6.74*1
ORP: 539 mV*2
NO3: 0.20 ppm
PO4: 0.09 ppm
Fe: 0.18 ppm (@09:50)*3
K: 40 ppm
dGH: 4.3
Ca/Mg: 16/8.8 ppm*4
dKH: 8.7

*1 Reported pH is the average of the current running averages of pH-L and pH-R monitors.
*2 Reported ORP is the current running average. See trace below.
*3 Reported Fe is that tested at the specified time. Today's time is 2 hr 20 min after the last previous dose of ferrous gluconate.
*4 Reported Ca and Mg are now converted from CaCO3 hardness figures to ionic concentrations.

QOFuelX.png

The redox trace shows the COD spikes that occur upon Flourish Comprehensive dosing. The first dose of the day is 30 mL spread out between 07:01 and 07:28, then 10 mL at 12:01 and again at 17:01. While Excel and Advance affect the ORP, it is the ferrous gluconate in Flourish that occasions this marked reduction.