This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Auto Dosing right nutrient concentrations

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by kakulo83, Dec 8, 2005.

1. kakulo83

kakulo83 Junior Poster

Hi all, I will be leaving soon for Germany and currently I am trying to set up an auto doser for my 65gallon (approx 60gal). The tank is heavily planted with fast growers, is CO2 supplemented, and has 6watt/gallon. I've checked Chucks calculator and the APC fertilator and decided with the following:

30240ml of water with 100 tsp KNO3, 100 tsp K2SO4. If I plugged the right #s, each 1ml of solution I add should give me .05ppm NO3 and .07ppm K. I will add 200ml every day.

Question 1). I have access right now to only Fleet Enema, how much should
    I add to the 30240ml of water so that with 200ml I am adding
    an appropriate amount?
    Question 2). 100 tsp of either KNO3 and/or 100 K2SO4 seems like a lot, will
    it be able to dissolve in room temp water?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I have worked hard to make this 6watt/gallon tank work without too much algae. I would really be disappointed if I come home to fat plecos. Thanks again.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Auto Dosing right nutrient concentrations

How big is the tank, what is the dosing rate of the dosing pump?

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. kakulo83

kakulo83 Junior Poster

Re: Auto Dosing right nutrient concentrations

Hi Tom, the aquarium is 65gal roughly 60gals. Nutrient mix is in a plastic storage container filled with ~30240ml of water. Peristaltic pump is APT SP100, flow rate is .9ml/min, I have yet to measure the rate for my setup. Would you recommend that I decrease my lighting while away? Will going from a high to low tech damage plants?