This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Attack of the killer diatoms

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by capnkirk, Aug 29, 2013.

1. capnkirk

capnkirk Guest

Local Time:
    10:22 PM
    Well... not really, but take a look at the pic

Yep, the tanks fairly new, closing in on 2 months

Why is it so bad though? I have been doing this for 6 years and never had an outbreak like this. Never even had this brown stuff View attachment 4696

A little about my tank:

150 gal (48x24x30)
    2 400 watt metal halides- on 8 hours
    water change 2x a week (50%)
    2 canister filters (fluval 405,eheim classic 600)
    EI method (I don't have any fancy testing equipment, so I really don't know what the ppm's are)
    aquarium plants.com electronic CO2 regulator set at 2.5#s pressure somewhere around 4-6 bubbles per sec
    drop checker always green
    Tap water, pretty hard (TDS 233-550)

What am I doing wrong? why isn't it slowing down, going away? why is it getting worse?
    Suggestions?

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:22 AM
    That algae doens't look like diatoms top me, more like Rhizoclonium. Which doesn't really surprise me, with 800 Watts of light. I use just one third of that on 180 Gallon, but I don't have algae.

High light also means high CO2 demand. If you don't provide that, plant growth stagnates and algae takes over. But with that amount of light, I hardly believe that you will be able to provide enough CO2. So my advice is to lower light intensity drastically.

You can try to elevate the lights, this will reduce intensity, although I think in your case you have to hang them at the ceiling to reach an acceptable amout of light in your tank. Still it might be too much.

The algae in the tank will take a lot of labour to remove, toss plants that are infected beyond recovery, clean, do lots of water changes.

#2 dutchy, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  3. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:22 AM
    I second this assessment. You have way too much light.

4. capnkirk

capnkirk Guest

Local Time:
    10:22 PM
    Thanks for the advise... I'll change the lights this weekend.