This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

At what point (psi) should CO2 cylinder be replaced?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by pepetj, Mar 30, 2011.

1. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:07 AM
    My CO2 pressurized cylinders usually read around 1,000 psi after refill (or swap). I have used the 500 psi mark as my "red light" to get ready to refill it. I still have some tanks working with single stage regulators.

I don't recall where I read the info that suggested 500psi to prevent "end of cylinder dump" problems... maybe it was lower than 500psi and for some reason I just got used to that mark.

What would be the "low-end-mark" that ideally should trigger the "replace this cylinder" event?

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I usually watch my dial daily once I see it shift from the full point...

I tend to wait until almost empty but I also have a spare tank....

3. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I did purchase a spare tank (twice) but ended up setting more CO2 tanks... I opt for Excel dosing if I can't get a cylinder filled (or swapped) on time.

Have you experienced any problems letting a pressurized CO2 cylinder run at 200psi? I figure the moment my output pressure gets closer to in-cylinder pressure I'm looking for trouble but not sure what "guideline" use for refilling... I keep some valuable fish in most of my CO2 pressurized planted tanks.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you go through the calculations once a CO2 cylinder has used up all the liquid and now contains only CO2 gas you only have 10% of the original fill remaining. Since a fill costs so little compared to your critters and 10% of that price is smaller yet why not just fill as soon as the gauge starts down?

Jim

5. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Another observation you can make is, if the input pressure gauge goes down and the output working pressure goes up, then that's really a good time to swap tanks. The output pressure rising without being adjusted back down could cause issues for your animals. This probably would only occur with a single stage regulator however.

#5 hbosman, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  6. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yeah, I just check it every day and turn the working pressure down as the tank empties. As long as you can keep an eye on it daily you will keep it safe.