This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Assistance on EI wanted

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by kibble, Oct 18, 2017.

1. kibble

kibble New Member

Local Time:
    6:30 AM
    Can you please suggest a weekly dose for the macros in ppm?I can split this according to how many times per week I will be dosing.Do you recommend daily dosing?I am not mentioning my tanks specs as I would like to go with the maximum amounts that maybe needed by a planted tank.I have not finished reviewing the method yet and I wouldn't like to run out of fertilizers by then.
    Thank you.

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:30 AM
    Check the calculator at http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

Basic mid-range EI macros weekly totals is on the order of
    22.5 ppm NO3
    4 ppm PO4
    22.5 ppm K

This is a LOT of stuff, even for the most heavily planted, brightly lit system. At these levels, any problems your plants develop would certainly not be the result of a macro deficiency.

3. kibble

kibble New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you, any advise on how to dose iron and traces?I will be using Brightwell multi which is traces plus iron.Any method other than testing for iron?

4. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'd just follow manufacturer directions for starters. Trace elements tend to be just that -- needed only in trace amounts.

5. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Decent weekly ranges:
    25 to 50 ppm Nitrares
    3-8 ppm phosphate
    15-20 on Potassium

This is a fair range for weekly dosing. No harm if you go a little higher or lower. If you decide to go with the higher end of this, it becomes even more critical that you are disciplined about water changes and I'd strongly urge you to do more than 50% every week. Even 80-90% water changes twice a week are fine.

I like to break it up into 3 doses. I've tried twice and once a week. No visible changes.

6. kibble

kibble New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you.