Arrrhhh.... BBA

Tobi

Junior Poster
Nov 24, 2006
Germany, Göttingen
Hi Colonel,

have you ruled your issues out ? I've mainly the same symptoms like you. Dosing Standard EI for my 40 Gallon (1/2 KNO3, 1/8 KH2PO4 + 10 ml TMG every other day, adding some MgSO4 and Ca after waterchange) but all plants look really pale ! :(. I've upped my CO2 alot (Source pH=7,5 Tank pH=5,9 and drop checker is also telling me that i have plenty of CO2 with ref. solution of kh=5 (bright green to yellow) ! I'm using Aquasoil and do not have any clue why the heck the plants are not growing lilke they should :D.
The plants pearl like mad after 0,5-1 hour.... but they still look white/pale/yellow. I've also tried upping the traces/iron alot without success.

You have gone trough all this ;) and i wanted to ask how you've solved your problems ?

at last i'm buying a ro unit.... hope it'll arrive soon.

greetings
Tobi

edacsac

Prolific Poster
Jan 2, 2007
VaughnH;7592 said:
You could add some baking soda to raise the kH a few degrees, then you wouldn't have to worry about low PH. I rarely ever measure either kH or ph and I add a teaspoon of baking soda every water change in my 29 gallon tank. I use as much CO2 as I can without the fish telling me "uncle!". My BBA vanished!

BBA vanished on it's own, or you cleaned it all off and it didn't come back? I'm just trying to understand if algae will "go away" on it's own under proper conditions and some time.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
That was some time ago! I don't remember what other things I might have done then, but I am pretty sure I manually removed as much BBA as I could, and I probably used a bleach solution to kill most of it on the pieces of wood I had in the tank.

My latest experience with BBA was in my nano tank. This was a couple of months ago. I dosed about 1.5X the water change dosage of Excel, and the small bits of BBA turned red and died later - turned white. Then the fish and/or shrimp ate it. It hasn't yet returned. I dose per the bottle now, with the KNO3 and KH2PO4, pre-mixed in a little bottle. My 45 gallon tank seems to be free of BBA now, but I keep the CO2 at 30+ ppm using a drop checker to monitor it.

edacsac

Prolific Poster
Jan 2, 2007
I was going to start using excel, along with Tom's recommendation to do a blackout, but the I read that excel is bad for riccia - which is better than 1/3 of plant layout.

I was just curious as to the BBA disappearing. I've been cleaning it as I see it, but even though it's overtaking my blyxa, the blyxa still lives and grows. So if I get other things in check, it would be cool if it just died.