Are there any red plants for small tanks?

Petex

Jan 1, 2011
Germany
Hi,
I have few small tanks (under 6Liter with less heigh) and mostly plant the same "green" stuff like Elatine, HCC, Hemantium Micromanthem, Umbrosum, Glosso, Marsilea and so on. But I am looking for something new like red mini plants with round leafs. Unfortunatly the local shops just only have a Rotalla Enie and not more.

I was told Cuphea anagalloidea, Rotalla Macandra Mini Type II and Rotalla "wavy" should be fine, but never found any Rotalla wavy images.
Are there more Mini plants availible?

thx. peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Petex

Jan 1, 2011
Germany
Hmm, seems no one knows any other nano plants (?)

Well meanwhile I was able to get some Mini plants;
the plant on the left is a Cuphea (this is a tiny plant) and it starts to build nice new red leafes. I think this could be a great plant,.
The plant on the right is Macandra Mini Type and this is a very very tiny plant (just only a little bit bigger as Rotalla Mini Pearl)
All those plants seems to be slow growers.

cuphea.jpg

DukeNJ

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 18, 2009
Red tiger lotus cam be trained to stay small. Just keep cutting leaves as they get big. Can't explain why, but my experience is that aggressive trimming slows their growth. Good thing with lotuses is that they are very easy to trim. When a leaf gets big ormstalk too long for you a quick snip at the base withnscissors and order is restored.

6L is pretty small, but I have kept a red tiger at about 4x4 inches.

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Look for Rotala sp. 'Butterfly', which looks to be a mutant of R. macrandra. The R. macandra 'Mini Type' in your last post looks a little like R. sp 'from Araguaia' to me, which is another slow grower (comparatively to most Rotala sp.) Rotala indica (aka Ammania sp 'Bonsai') is another good one that tends to get thicker stems as it gets healthier, slowing down the vertical growth a little.

Also look for Rotala mexicana 'Goias'; however, spikier leaves than you may be looking for. Echinodorus tenellus 'Red,' too.

Depending on the shape of the tank (if it's squat and wider), Hygrophila sp 'Araguaia' might have a cool effect.

Regardless, 6L isn't much space and you already have lots of stuff. I'd suggest sticking with just a couple species. Maybe let the HC contrast with one of the super bright species. If you could use ET instead and mound it in cool ways in front of that 'Mini type' you're already using, I imagine a pretty and unique tank.

Petex

Jan 1, 2011
Germany
The R. macandra 'Mini Type' in your last post looks a little like R. sp 'from Araguaia' to me,
Rotala Araguaia is the old/wrong name, those "Rotall Araguaia´s" are Cuphea anagalloidea (the plant on the left side).
Most off this plants are rare and pretty hard to get.
(this includes r. indica as well)

Seems Dennerle also has a (new) small Rotalla,
its called Rotalla Enie and looks like a Mini Wallichi:
277.jpg

But same for this plant, I never found it in any shops and don´t know any ppl who have/keep or trade such plants.