This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any creatures that thrive in low PH acidic water?

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by SwampGremlin, Oct 20, 2015.

1. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    11:36 AM
    Been trying to find somthing looking on he net about this i really do not see much. but i figure there has to be a place on earth with acidic water that has creatures that thrive there.

This question is directed at fresh water planted tanks. I would not mind having a fish or verts that arent bashful when it comes to dosing co2 just curious if there is some exotic pet that actually prefers 5.7-5.9 ph water that you wouldn't have to worry about stressing out .And i understand theres the other side of it at lights out then it would be stressed when ph rises again but i just wanted to ask to see if someone would say the only creature that doesnt care what the ph is and it will not be stressed is (fill in the Blank) idk.

Or even information on what fish species seems to be able to handle low ph the best ect.

#1 SwampGremlin, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    5:36 AM
    It's not really about the PH, more to do with high CO2's influence on respiration.

3. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    I see thanks for clarifying. Is there any that thrive in high co2 enviroments then?

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Paracheirodon sps., i.e. cardinals, green neons, neons, et al., can tolerate pH as low as 3.5. Anything lower and mortality is 100%.

5. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Ok cool I apreciate the feedback .

Thanks.

6. Tristin

Tristin Junior Poster

Local Time:

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Killis, many Florida native fish species, any with air bladders, Gouramis, guppies, livebearers etc.

8. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for your reply. i loved the orange killis i had but they jumped out of my rimless so fast think 5 of them lasted 3 days

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Most of those fish will jump, a 5 gallon rimless and killis is asking for it. Not many things will not in a small tank like that I know of.

10. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Gourami, Yes, But I do not think Livebearer's will thrive in acidic water's nearly as well as they do in hard alkaline water based on a few decades of raising them.

Cannot speak to the killi's for I have not kept them.

Currently keeping Hi fin lyre tailed Sword's along with some feeder guppies for spotted leaf fish.

11. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for your replies guys

12. Monilovesplants

Monilovesplants Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I'd also consider that some fish that are tank raised have been raised in higher ph so putting them straight into a lower ph isn't necessarily the best thing to do. if they were raised in a higher ph, they'll probably do well there due to the breeder's techniques and generations of fish being raised at that ph. I have Discus and they are known for a lower ph but they are now getting raised at a higher level so mine stay in about 6.8 in my planted tank and are quite happy in their green range of ph. I've seen comments of Discus being in 7.6 to 8 ph [breeders told them to put them at that level].

13. brrrpr

brrrpr Subscriber

Local Time:
    Wow ! Interesting, where did you get this data about extreme chemical conditions ?

14. brrrpr

brrrpr Subscriber

Local Time:
    This last book looks wonderfull, if anyone had a copy of it.

15. Adam Edmond

Adam Edmond Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes.Because different animals thrive on different conditions.For example, shelled animals—including mussels, clams, urchins and starfish—are going to have trouble building their shells in more acidic water, just like the corals. Mussels and oysters are expected to grow less shell by 25 percent and 10 percent respectively by the end of the century. Urchins and starfish aren’t as well studied, but they build their shell-like parts from high-magnesium calcite, a type of calcium carbonate that dissolves even more quickly than the aragonite form of calcium carbonate that corals use. This means a weaker shell for these organisms, increasing the chance of being crushed or eaten.