This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Are Diatoms Good For Your Tank?

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by TDot, Aug 31, 2019.

1. TDot

TDot New Member

Local Time:
    8:01 AM
    After watching "One Strange Planet's, I found out that Diatoms are what makes the Amazon grow. Especially a surge of Diatoms and the a killing of Diatoms causes a major source of fertilization. Therefore, is it a logical conclusion that we need to increase Diatoms and then quickly kill them to keep a healthy ecosystem in our planted tanks. s Is our struggle to keep from our tanks Diatom free futile? They may just what we need for a healthy ecosystem.

2. justlexi93

justlexi93 New Member

Local Time:
    9:01 PM
    I haven't seen it but I know for a fact that aside from those positive attributions of diatoms there's also the negative ones.

3. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:01 AM
    I haven’t seen the show either. The premise sounds suspect to me, as the same argument can be made about bacteria, or any number of organisms that would provide nutrients. Kill off a living population of something you will get nutrients from it.

Our tanks are not closed systems, we input food and our fish consume it, the waste is consumed by scavengers like snails and detritus worms, then by microorganisms, bacteria, etc till the useful nutrients and energy has been extracted. Then we remove the remnants or excess by vacuuming, water changes, etc. Each organism, micro and macro, plant and animal, fills a niche in the ecosystem, and many are beneficial or even necessary for success. Balance is the key, to keep the various populations healthy and functioning properly and as a result the system as a whole. When we don’t have balance, for example by overfeeding or using antibiotics, the populations have to readjust. That’s when we see outbreaks of diatoms, algae, or bacteria blooms, etc.

So yes, I think diatoms are important to us, and diversity in this regard is usually our friend to some degree. When a tank is being run well things like diatoms and algae are still present, just not in objectionable quantities. It’s up to the individual to decide what is “objectionable”, because balance in this sense does not necessarily mean “pretty”. :)