This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Are Badis badis (Chameleon fish) safe for planted tanks?

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by pepetj, Apr 30, 2011.

1. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:12 AM
    I found a few specimens of Badis badis at a LFS. They are still juveniles (likely a bit over one inch SL). I wonder if these fish work in a planted tank or if they will disrupt delicate plant species. I'm considering purchasing some of them so... better ask this before I end with a fish that may not be suitable for planted tanks (I keep none of those fellows).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

2. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    They leave plants alone, shrimp however are not safe for them. :)

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Badis badis Just Ain't All That Bad

Hi Pepetj,

Badis badis are no threat to plants.:cool:

As long as the males have plenty of room and there are no other territorial bottom dwellers or aggressive fish about, there really aren't too many problems with other critters. For the most part only baby shrimp have much to fear.:rolleyes:

Really they are "micro-predators," small-crustaceans, small worms (I like black worms) insect larvae, (I like Daphnia and such). Someone will no doubt chime in with how they never feed anything but the cheapest, nastiest dry-flake food and they do just great...:( Well shame on them...:p

Plenty of smooth rock and gravel, some caves and soon you will have more B. badis than you know what to do with; happily hiding and spawning!:cool:

Biollante