This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquatic Life Halos

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kevinmichael77, Mar 26, 2016.

1. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    3:02 AM
    Anyone have any experience with these? I'm contemplating getting two for my 4ft tank, but I wanted to see if anyone is currently using these. Also wondering how they do with red plants.

It's between these or a dimmable ati fixture.

Thanks!

2. CHANDWE2

CHANDWE2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Kevin I did purchase one of these and it's been two weeks in my new setup and happy so far.. I don't have any red plants yet but the color render action and intensity is quite good..

3. Trnt

Trnt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    As of two days ago I have one, I think my Alternanthera reineckii likes it, but I have never seen that plant grow as any color other than red. I will say that since I have it over a 60P I have the intensity turned down and as a result of this there is some coil whine. I wouldn't say it's overly annoying though and you will probably have the intensity high enough that it is a non-issue. The cooling fan is more noticeable than the whine. Two days is still too soon to tell, and I will be keeping a close eye on my tank to see how it goes. It produces a shimmer effect if you care about that sort of thing.

4. CHANDWE2

CHANDWE2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes I too agree that the fan noise is very much noticeable as compared to Kessil

5. a_cynical_optimist

a_cynical_optimist Subscriber

Local Time:
    I just added them to my tank Friday night, and so far I like them a lot. They definitely bring out the Reds better than Kessils.

I'm still playing with which optics I like better, but currently have them on at 50% power with 110 optics about 8 inches over the water.

Also, if you buy them from marine depot they'll match the Amazon discounts as well as the $41 Easter pricing till the end of the month that Aquatic Life is offering on the mounts.

6. Trnt

Trnt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    That's a bummer, I just will called my mount from them on Friday for $60 :(

7. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    How much noise are we talking. My tank will be in my living room, so could I hear

The whining or the cooling fan over the television?

Also when is Kessil gonna address the red spectrum issue? They are killer looking lights!

8. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    It's white noise. I have mine in the rear of my living room and don't notice the fans at all. I have 2 over the top of my tank running around 75%.

I've had them on my tank for almost two months now. My plants love them. Coming from BML lights, I'd say they are of equal quality of better. I prefer the pendant style versus bar over my tank, just a cleaner look.

My tank for reference:

IMG_20160327_171242.jpg

#8 bsantucci, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  9. CHANDWE2

CHANDWE2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    You won't hear the noise if are running a TV etc but will certainly hear if the home is silent without any TV/audio device

10. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    How long is your tank? I see your using two fixtures. I'm assuming one master and one slave.

11. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    It's a 36" long tank. Yep, one master one slave unit. Works great. I love the simplicity of the lights. The color is great too, much better than Kessil.

12. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    How is the spread? Would two be sufficient on a 4ft tank?

13. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    Yeah should cover it without issue. They say each light covers 24x24x24. I have plenty of spill outside of my tank from these.

There's two lenses also, a 80 and 110 degree. I use the 110 to make sure it is a nice even spread.

14. a_cynical_optimist

Local Time:
    Send it back! If you used Paypal, return shipping is free.

Update though, it's been a full week since the Halos went up. The plants seem to be doing GREAT and coloring back up nicely. I'm at about 55% power and the tank is well lit without seeming artificial. The shimmer is really to my liking; didn't realize how nice it would look, and my Tonina and L Senegalensis seem to love being under the individual pendants.

Not a cheap option at all, and as a T5 fan, I found it hard to initially go that route. The color is great though, the intensity is more than enough, the controller is awesome with its ramp up/down and moon light options.

Just ordered another but for my reef tank.

15. a_cynical_optimist

Local Time:
    I'm using the 110's as well but I plan to raise the fixture and go back to the 80's soon. I think it's great that they give you both so you have options

16. a_cynical_optimist

Local Time:
    That's a good looking tank. What intensity are you running yours at? It looks bright!

17. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    What size tank? Have you used the 80's before? I was worried they would fry everything.

18. Trnt

Trnt Junior Poster

Local Time:

Thank you, however that photo was actually taken when I had my current freshwater led+, and to answer your question the light was ran at full brightness. My halo has been off for the past week due to me killing my regulator :( ... my new one should be delivered today though :cool: and I will then resume my normal 7 hour photo period of about 50-60% intensity. I am probably going start the tank over and actually attempt a scape. It was originally supposed to be a lower light set up, combine that with me not really knowing what I wanted or what I was doing, my current layout isn't high-light Halo friendly; that anubias in the middle is starting to get some green spot algae. As a result of this I am going to find a new loving home for the anubias and the lava rock which it is attached to and then probably do a natural style triangle layout which I find much more appealing.

I have attached a more recent picture of my aquarium which was taken before I stopped dosing co2 due to a leaking regulator.

19. a_cynical_optimist

Local Time:
    I just swapped everything into a 40b to free up my rimless for either a discus or coral tank. I have used the 80's... If you raise them as high as they go they have great coverage with no light spillage at all. Less shadowing off of the hardscape as well. I only run them at 55-60% though. I'd never let them run at 100

20. s3rca

s3rca New Member

Local Time:
    I'm planning on picking up three of these units when I set up my 130g after I finish moving. Can anyone with a basic unit confirm whether or not they come with both the 80 and 110 degree lenses or is it only the deluxe unit that comes with both? Thanks