This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquatic Ecosystems needle valve

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by darren_in_the_marsh, Apr 8, 2006.

1. darren_in_the_marsh

darren_in_the_marsh Junior Poster

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Aquatic Ecosystems needle valve

The description calls it a gate valve, which is hardly the fine metering valve we need with CO2. And, being plastic it isn't likely to have a fine taper needle in it. Plus, being plastic makes it likely to eventually fail from the CO2/carbonic acid environment.

Otherwise, a great buy!! Heh, heh.

3. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

For $10 you could go ahead and get the Clippard MNV-4K2 needle valve.

It works good, although I switched to the Swagelok on my reactor for accuracy I still use the Clippard on my mist.

Bill

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

The issue with plastic, thermal expansion.
    Metal's thermal exapnsion coefficient is extremely low, whereas plastic is very high.

The gas cools as it's released from the tank, this and room temp changes can cause flow variation.

These valves are nice for drip applications where accuracy is less critical.

Regards,
    Tom Barr