This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquasoil - When does ammonia arrive?

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by jeff5614, Aug 2, 2015.

1. jeff5614

jeff5614 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    5:23 AM
    I set up my new 120H four days ago. I moved the two canisters from my 75g to the new tank and have been doing daily 80% water changes and have 250ml of Purigen in one filter. I picked up a new ammonia text kit and so far my ammonia readings have been zero. I've not calibrated the kit so I think that may be the issue, but was wondering if it's too early for detectable levels of ammonia.

Well I guess I shouldn't say they've been zero since how can you really say it's zero based on comparing colors on a card.

#1 jeff5614, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    You should be seeing it now. But the mature filters, water changes, and chemical filtration is keeping it safe.

3. jeff5614

jeff5614 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    That was also a thought, but I thought I might have been being overly optimistic.

4. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:23 PM
    With a planted dirt tank and adding fertilizers to supplement nitrate, potassium and phosphate how is that a chemical media such as Perigen is necessary? It will just absorb your money (supplements).

The bacteria necessary to breakdown animal waste (NH3&NH4) will do it for you. There is more than enough surface area in the dirt to support the bacteria.

I'd let the tank cycle itself.

5. jeff5614

jeff5614 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Purigen won't adsorb the inorganic ferts we add such as KNO3, K2SO4, etc. It is fairly specific in the adsorption of DOC's such as NH3/NH4, etc.. I'd not expect 250ml's to remove everything generated by 5 bags of new AS and I don't usually keep it in my filter. I added it to help with the initial large amount of ammonia generated just as the frequent large water changes help.

6. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:23 PM
    You didn't mention fish.

Just Plants?

Can you remove the purigen just to gauge the actual ammonia?

Where did you read that daily 80% water changes are necessary?

Hold off on doing water changes for a week.

Let the tank balance itself at this point.

7. jeff5614

jeff5614 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    The fish aren't in the tank yet. They're still in a 40 gallon tote waiting to go back home. Large daily water changes seem to be the norm for the first week with AS, at least from what I read it seemed to be.

8. jeff5614

jeff5614 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Moved the fish and shrimp into the tank 6 days ago. I did a 50% water change the day before moving them and again yesterday. Fish are happy, shrimp are happy and I'm happy. Ammonia and nitrite were never detectable and I'm attributing it largely to the two mature filters.