This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquasoil pH effect- How long does it last and pH swings.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jsethed, Nov 13, 2010.

1. jsethed

jsethed Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:14 AM
    Howdy folks-

I'm new to the planted aqua scene and am setting up a moderately planted 33 gal. tank. I am considering a base layer of aquasoil because tap H2O pH is about 8.2 . KH is about 9. I'm curious about how long the pH lowereing effects of Aquasoil generally last.

More importantly, will pH swing upwards with water changes (30 - 50 percent) temporarily and how long does it take to return to normal levels.

Gracias

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No Expert I, Not That That Ever Stops Me Answering!

Hi,

{Disclaimer: I have never used Aqua Soil Amazonia I or II (or any other commercial substrate).}

Since none of the smarter types want to help, I will give it a shot… :eek:

I recall reading the effects of Aqua Soil are supposed to last about a year.

{Warning pH is controversial, here.}

I do not like large pH swings, I like, within reason, to match pH levels. How important this is depends on the flora and fauna you keep, as are matters of temperature, alkalinity and general hardness. :rolleyes:

It would seem as a practical matter that keeping the pH levels consistent during water changes would tend to keep the Aqua Soil doing what it does for a longer period. :confused::confused:

Hope this helps… :cool:

Biollante

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    6 months?
    Depends if you use carbon/purigen often also.
    Last a fair while though.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. hani

hani Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    In the 3 setup i had it lasted about 6-8 weeks, but am using purigen, zeolite, and carbon .
    hani